Have lost START Menu button, Bottom Task Bar,

lotodigOctober 9, 2011

and all Desktop Icons. My well meaning grandson has messed up my computer and I'm just hoping it's not as bad as it looks.

I have HP Pavilion, vista, 64, FF,IE,Chrome

It started when there was a notice that popped up that said something to the effect that there were too many programs running on start up that it was affecting something or another. The notice would then disappear before I could read it all. So my grandson was going to help and said he would go into Task Management and check the processing tab. Well that's what he did and he clicked on several things on the list and right clicked that item and hit "END PROCESS".

Now I have no bottom task bar, no start button, nothing across the bottom of my screen. I also have absolutely nothing on my desktop, except the picture that I use for a background. The right click on the desktop does not engage, it will not show any menu whatsoever.

I was lucky that I had a window open so that I could get to this forum...the top tool bars are all OK.

I thought about doing a system restore but am afraid to mess around too much trying to restore things, I didn't want to heap damage on top of damage.

Help will be appreciated, do you think a 'system restore' will put things back the way they were or what should I do.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

found this at the link below:
The workaround: press CTRL+ALT+DEL to fire up the Task Manager. Now on the File menu, select New Task (Run...). Type in "explorer" and press OK. That should restart explorer and re-display your Taskbar.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Taskbar is missing and I have no Start button - what do I do?

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 8:10PM
lotodig

chemocurl, I thank you so very much....that seems to have done the trick. Everything is back to normal as far as I can tell. Woopee.

I'm so lucky and thankful to have found this forum and received all the help that I have. Wow, I was afraid that is was going to be a disaster. THANK YOU again.

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 8:29PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

You're so welcome. It's not often that I can actually help anyone.

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 10:23PM
kudzu9

All your grandson did was stop a process he shouldn't have; he didn't actually make any permanent changes to your computer. All you needed to do was reboot to get back to normal. Remember that you don't need to be able to navigate anywhere on the screen to reboot. If you need to reboot due to some other problem in the future, you can just hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds until the computer shuts down and reboots itself.

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 10:28PM
lotodig

kudzu9, thanks, I'll try to remember that for future reference. But you have the knowledge of the workings of the computer and the confidence to do those kinds of fixes, but you are talking to a person that had no idea what to do. The learning go on...

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 11:45PM
kudzu9

lotodig-
Just so you're more confident, I've re-booted my computer many times over the years using the technique I've described. Several times, for example, my cursor has frozen so I couldn't navigate to do anything, such as re-boot normally. I didn't always know why some problem was happening, but I did know that the power button re-boot would not make anything worse. Usually the only time you can have a problem is if you decide to do a re-boot/re-start of any kind in the middle of some major activity where you are making changes to the computer, such as installing updates or doing a defragmentation. However, in the other 99.9% of cases, all you're doing is cleaning out the RAM of some unexplained little problem and starting fresh.

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 3:09PM
DA_Mccoy

Or, you may get a black and white DOS screen reporting Windows has shut down abruptly, and several options for a user to select. It's been a while, but as I recall the last time at work where we lost power to the XP systems the correct selection was to choose Normal. My Vista system did it once a long time ago, and I can't remember the options.

DA

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 4:44PM
lotodig

thanks for the encouragement..I have learned so much from lurking here for several years now.

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 5:07PM
kudzu9

damccoy is correct, and I should have mentioned that detail. When it reboots after a power button shutdown, you are likely to get a screen stating that Windows didn't shut down normally. Don't panic...that's what happened, but it doesn't mean anything bad or that you messed anything up! All you have to do is select "Start Windows Normally" from the options that are displayed if it isn't already highlighted.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 12:44AM
DA_Mccoy

I was just working on an Acer laptop yesterday when it locked up. I had to manually shut it down, then restart. The Error-Checking utility appeared announcing possible disk errors along with the opportunity to abort the process if so desired. I seized the chance to skip the process, and the system operated normally.

It took me back to the pre-XP days when the System File Checker was a common ritual.

DA

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
need help again regarding free office program
I asked for help in this area recently and never was...
Lea Grabb
Linkedin - Friend's Attempt to Subscribe me to it.
I know nothing of social media outfits and don't want...
mxyplux
Google Stylish add-on help
I have Google Stylish add-on but don't know how to...
Cricketm
Lenovo's "malware" not just Lenovo's.
It's been found in a dozen or so apps, some pre-installed,...
lazy_gardens
how do I bypass my login?
I recently took my HP laptop to Data Doctors and it...
cornsnake_lover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™