Pizza Stone - Did I buy the right/wrong thing?

elisamcsJanuary 18, 2007

I bought a 16 inch square tile at Home Depot. It's the perfect size for my oven, but it has a low sheen glaze on it. Can I still use this for pizza? I read all the posts on this that I could find, and everyone says to buy unglazed quarry tiles, but I thought that the price and the good size made this one a good gamble. Keep or return?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fairegold

Return it. The glaze might not be safe for food preparation. My unglazed saltillo tiles were only $.99 at Home Depot.

Bookmark   January 18, 2007 at 5:39PM
azzalea

Not only might the glaze be unsafe for food use, but a glazed tile won't give you the results you want. The unglazed tile/pizza stones are porous and absorbant. The reason you get such a fabulous crust on them, is that they pull moisture from your dough, making the finished product nice and crisp. The glazed tile won't do that for you.

Bookmark   January 18, 2007 at 10:48PM
sunnyco

Can you just flip it over to the unglzed side? There might be some sort of texture though...

I would just go get some unglazed tile. :)

Bookmark   January 24, 2007 at 9:39AM
elisamcs

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I went and bought 6, 6 inch travertine tiles, put them on the oven rack, and cooked the best pizza I've ever made on them. The total surface is 12 X 18, and costs less than $13. I use an unrimmed cookie sheet as a peel - using cornmeal - and it worked just fine.

Bookmark   January 30, 2007 at 6:16PM
sunnyco
    Bookmark   January 30, 2007 at 7:12PM
elisamcs

Sunnyco:

I honestly don't know. They're not as smooth as I would expect marble to be, and they're pitted, some more than others. Does that help?

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 5:38PM
hokies

I went to Home Depot today looking for saltillo Mexican tiles and was told that the manufacturer stopped making them a couple of months ago. Lowes told me the same thing a day before. So I headed back to the tiles section and picked up eight 6" Mayflower quarry stone tiles for 30 cents each. Red stuff and unglazed. Is this what everybody is talking about? I can't wait to try it out this weekend with Costco's 16" square pizza. Can I wash these tiles before use?

Thanks

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 7:35PM
sunnyco

Don't use soap, because they are porous. Just scrub them with water, and maybe a little white vinegar, and make sure you let them heat up well before you put your pizza on.

Bookmark   February 3, 2007 at 8:20AM
elisamcs

I was hunting high and low for the quarry tiles, but just couldn't find them anywhere. I settled for the travertine tiles which work wonderfully. But at 30 cents for the quarry tiles, I should have looked longer!

Bookmark   February 7, 2007 at 9:11PM
klaa2

You bought the wrong thing, return it before someone becomes ill. I can see the headlines now.....

Bookmark   February 9, 2007 at 2:19PM
theseanman66_clearwire_net

I just picked up an 18" X 18" piece of Travertine from a local tile outlet and when I asked the guy behind the counter how much it would be he said "take it, it's a sample". The thing about travertine is, though it looks glazed, the shiny side is that way because it was polished, no chemicals involved.

I wish it was a little thicker, but you can't beat FREE!

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Club cast aluminum still made?
I am new to the list, so forgive me if this subject...
joan41
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
stainless flatware
does anyone have reed and barton allora flatware? i...
JoPierson
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™