First Impressions: paper wheel knife sharpener

arley_gwJanuary 7, 2007

I recently bought a paper wheel knife sharpening system. Here are my initial impressions:

Pros: Man, does this thing make knives SHARP! Whoa. Pretty easy to learn; by my second knife I made an edge which would shave the hairs off my forearm. The last one I did, an old heavy thick meat cleaver, ended up with an edge which easily sliced a 1/8 thick slice of an overripe tomato.

I learned how to use a whetstone when I was a kid, and could occasionally get an edge close to what these wheels did, but it took forever. That's the other advantage of this system,it's really quick: even the dullest knife only took a few minutes to sharpen up.

Cons: While the total cost isn't that great (~$40 for the wheels, another $30-$50 for a dedicated grinder (I found a cheapo at Big Lots for $20, works fine)) the best setup might be to have a spot in your workshop or utility room for this. As you use it it spits off little bits of gunk (wax + grit)and it makes the counter around it a little messy. That's not a major complaint, though; cleanup didn't take that long. Next time I'll put newspaper under it.

If you have the storage space or work space for it, I highly recommend it. If you have a tiny kitchen and no storage, don't get it.

The link is to the website where I bought the wheels. You can also buy an inexpensive book there on sharpening, although the instructions for use for the wheels are more than enough to learn how to use them.

The guy who runs the website reviews other sharpening gadgets as well.

Full Disclosure: I have no financial interest in this website or these products. I liked the performance of this item and thought I'd share my impressions.

Here is a link that might be useful: paper wheel and other sharpeners

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitchendetective

As someone perpetually on the look-out for better ways to sharpen knives, I thank you for this post. Now, to ask DH for a bit of his shop space. . .

Bookmark   January 9, 2007 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
cooks essentials talking microwave
I don't know if I should post this here or on the cooking...
vacuumfreak
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
Sponsored Products
Innovex Zebra Bella Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Ellery Lime Green 18 x 18 Solid Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Flare 20-inch Feather-filled Throw Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Pillow Perfect Kasuri Navy 18-inch Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
Knife Block
CliqStudios Cabinets
20-Piece Bamboo-Style Flatware Service
$34.90 | Horchow
3-pc. Mini Cheese Knife and Block Set
$30.00 | FRONTGATE
Paton Stripes Pillow Brown/Gold
$52.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for: