C:net - Ten Common Sense Security Tips

mike_kaiser_gwOctober 12, 2012

Good article over on C:net about basic security. It also includes a link to a website that evaluates password strength.

Definitely worth a read!

Oh, and how long would it take for the average desktop PC to crack the password for my bank account? 18 tredecillion years. I don't know how long that really is but I'm guessing the account will long be closed and the bank out of business before it happens! ;-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

I have a bank account with 17 cents in it.
Thought they would bill me a service charge or something but they dont.
Its an interest bearing account.

I'm wondering when that ..Someday.. will come,,, that my heirs could become rich from interest earned.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 7:42PM
not2bright

I've tried, off and on, to read some web articles -- and, of course, the comments -- on things like this, and one will always find someone commenting and saying that they have been able to crack supposedly 'strong' passwords in a much shorter amount of time than the calculations say. (One small example: see here and scroll down toward the bottom to a comment by "Shane" responding to "Randy.")

Granted, these people are probably not using an "average desktop PC." Still, it makes one wonder how accurate these results ("Your Password will take X years to crack") are. (And, of course, by the same token we don't really know if so-and-so did crack some account in the time they claim. It's one person's word against another's.)

Surely, the longer and more complex a password/passcode is, the better. But just as surely it won't be too long before some technology will come around that will knock a hundred trillion years off such calculations. :-/

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 8:17PM
mikie_gw

I aways wonder about sites like that.. are they sitting there and recording your passwords and ip.. doing a little geolocation, so they have a easy target.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 8:44PM
DA_Mccoy

This thread reminded me of an extensive article in Consumer Reports. I found part of it and tagged it below. It is not bible and verse, but it is informational.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumer Reports Jan 2012

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:15PM
not2bright

Thanks for that article, DA.

In line with this thread is this paragraph from the article:

Lower hacking costs. The kind of hardware used to crack passwords has plunged in price. According to Robert Imhoff-Dousharm, information security officer at SanDisk, for $3,000 you can buy a PC with the password-cracking power of the fastest supercomputer in 1994, which cost $30 million then. A PC with that power can be assembled from parts you can buy from a computer retailer, and it can crack any eight-character password in just 23 hours, he says. Have a tighter budget but more time? No problem. An $800 starter version can do it in 40 days.

Ouch.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
Helping a elderly friend with their computer remotely
She is in her 90's, lives alone and needs help with...
jane__ny
need help again regarding free office program
I asked for help in this area recently and never was...
Lea Grabb
What a mess!
My user name on this forum is/was Tosh has been for...
oldschool
Adobe flash player and pdf reader installation on Win8
I have a new Win 8 touch screen laptop. I've been using...
hald
Owbist Where is Owbist?
Did he cash in? Haven't seen his dulcet tones since B4...
mxyplux
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™