le creuset style cookware at Ikea

norwegaJanuary 24, 2009

Has anyone bought the Le Creuset/Staub style cookware at Ikea? The 5 qt is $50! It looks like the Le Creuset $210) , but of course is made in China. The Ikea cookware name is "Senior". What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenc511

I can't comment specifically on the Ikea brand of enameled cast iron, but if you're in the U.S., you can go to any store along the lines of Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc. and buy heavily discounted cookware from well-known and reviewed manufacturers. You could easily buy a name brand 5qt "Dutch" oven at my local Marshall's any day of the week for no more than $30-40. I haven't seen any Le Creuset there, but I have seen plenty of other respectable brands. I love Ikea, but I don't trust their quality enough to spend even $50 on something that should last 20+ years.

If I wanted to pay retail (nothing wrong with it if you have specific color preferences or need something *right now*) and stick within that price range, I'd be looking at Lodge products.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 1:46AM
mrsmarv

I agree with jenc511. I recently purchased a Le Creuset 6 3/4 quart wide Dutch oven at Marshall's for under $150. Now, that may not seem like a steal, but it retails for around $320, and it's not made in China ;o) I have an older Martha Stewart enameled cast iron Dutch oven (which is made in China), and there is no comparison to the quality of the Le Creuset, or Staub, or Nomar. Trust me, there is a difference.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 6:46AM
baldrock_al

Lodge cookware is made in the USA (but not the enameled cookware, it is made in China) and is good quality. About the cheapest Lodge cookware is at Academy Sports if there is one near you (example: 6 qt enamel dutch oven, $49 at Academy, $59 at WalMart, $69 at BassPro) and another good source for Lodge is Old Tyme Pottery if there is one near you.

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 6:42PM
nooz812

I just bought a Lafont enameled cast iron 3.5 quart dutch oven at Home Goods in Encinitas, CA. When I got home I did some research and Lafont is highly rated by professional restaurant test kitchens in Europe, and by users on Amazon.com and buzzillions. I paid $39.99, and it comes with 1 wooden, 1 cast iron knob (oven use). They had all shapes, sizes, colors of Lafont cookware, it carries a lifetime guarantee. I believe it is made in France, of the highest quality materials.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 3:09PM
kitchendetective

Tuesday Morning has some pieces of Le Creuset, too.

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
stainless flatware
does anyone have reed and barton allora flatware? i...
JoPierson
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™