Viking 7 Qt. Mixer

kitchendetectiveJanuary 24, 2007

Does anyone have or has anyone used the Viking 7-quart mixer? Do you like it? Any idea how it compares to a KitchenAid 600 or 620? TIA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsmarv

I have the 5-quart Viking, so I'll give you some feedback based on that. I chose the Viking over the KA for a few reasons:
Baker's Catalog guaranteed it for 1 year, no matter what.(Also, at that time there was free shipping)
Recommendations by Cook's Illustrated, among others.
Design, including lower height, wheels on the back, ease of maneuverability, and a lower and wider bowl. I have minimal clearance between the bottom of my cabs and the counter (old house, low ceilings).
Wattage/power
Ability to adjust the mixing attachments re: clearance to the bottom of the bowl
No unfavorable reports regarding plastic parts that are prone to breakage/wear, as in the KA. No plastic parts are used in the Viking.

I've had the Viking a little over a year and use it at least 3-4 times a week. I use it to knead bread dough (white, rye, whole wheat flour), whip egg whites, cream sugar/butter, cake batter, cookie dough, various yeast breads, heavy biscotte dough, etc. So far, she's worked like a champ. Some related info on why I chose the 5-qt. I felt the 7-qt. might be a bit of overkill for me. There are only 2 of us left at home, DH and myself. The bowl is just the right size, not too big or deep. The bowl on the 7-qt. is quite a bit deeper than on the 5-qt. and I would rather have to make 2 batches of something, if needed, rather than have a bowl that was too big when/if making smaller batches. My hunch was correct and the 5-qt. definitely is best for me, although YMMV ;o) I will tell you that I have dealt with Viking repair for their small electrics and have had excellent service from them (on the east Coast it's out of Chicago). I had the mixer for almost a year and some of the paint started to chip on the base plate, where the bowl locked in. I sent the mixer back to them and they replaced the entire base and sent the mixer back to me post-haste. The entire process, from the time I sent it out to the time I received it back, took exactly one week. Now that's expedient service!

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 3:20PM
blsdgal

I have this mixer. It is a workhorse and doesn't move on my mixer lift, like I have heard some complain of.

However, when we purchased it, I was told by a salesperson that Viking would be coming out with a 5 quart bowl that could be used for this mixer. I found out later that this salesperson didn't know what she was talking about.

Honestly, the bowl on this thing is HUGE and almost too big. If I had it to do over, I would get the 5 quart, even though it has a little less power.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   January 31, 2007 at 8:53PM
kitchendetective

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to put it on my wish list. I have a smaller KA--a new one would be for large batches of whole grain bread.

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
Fermented cabbage
Many people really enjoy as me the taste of fermented...
GeorgeLiv
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
debby_1
Kitchenaid Stand Mixer Food Grinder
My hubs gave me the meat/food grinder attachment for...
mimijacobs
Favorite tea kettle for induction?
Waiting patiently for my induction cooktop to be installed....
txjoyce
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™