Should I stick w/ a nonstick pan if...

pammyfayJanuary 24, 2006

...I want to use it for both making a spaghetti sauce and doing chicken cutlets and (low-heat) stir-frys?

I cook only a little bit and have used a set of T-Fal nonstick (from QVC) for the past 10 or so years (wow--that's a lot). The chicken-fryer pan (nice capacity, straight sides) is starting to look its age, and the interior covering is starting to wear off.

I'd really like to find one pan to replace it, because I don't spend all that much time in the kitchen and don't have a lot of storage space. I still use the T-Fal skillets and saucepots for other things, and they look fine.

From what I've read, tomato-based sauces should NOT be used in SS?

Macys has a bunch of pans on sale this week, so I want to stop by and see how they feel. Like many other folks, I'm starting to pay attention to how hard they are on the wrists (I do a lot of typing at work--and on these boards!--so I'm starting to think a lot more about preserving what is integral to my job).

So I'm wondering if I should eliminate any of the SS varieties right off the bat because of the cooking I want to be able to do with one general pan?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canvir

You can cook anything in stainless steel. Believe it's the aluminum products you have to be concerned with when cooking tomato-based sauces.

Bookmark   January 24, 2006 at 12:21PM
lindac

I would be looking at a good quality non stick pan....look for one with an aluminum body because it conducts heat better than stainless does. I like Meyer professional....and a 10 inch skillet should do fine for cooking chicken and making a quick tomato sauce. Don't know what you mean about low heat stir fry....but do remember that you shouldn't be using high heat with a non stick pan.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: professioinal cook ware

Bookmark   January 25, 2006 at 5:48PM
mes444

I cook tomato based foods all the time in All Clad Stainless and it's over 15 years old and still perfect. I also use my 12" Non Stick Calphalon Everyday Pan, everyday :) for slow frying and sause preparation. If I had to buy one pan, I would pick the 12" Non Stick Everyday Pan, it's perfect for frying as it is aluminum, it's large enough to cook sause, it cleans easily, it is not too heavy and it has two handles so no wrist problems.

Bookmark   January 26, 2006 at 11:21AM
jenathegreat

I don't think I've ever heard of anything you can't cook in stainless steel.

Tomato-based sauces can strip seasoning off of cast iron and maybe make the sauce taste funny if you simmer it long enough.

Not sure what t-fal's non-stick surface is, but if it's wearing off you're probably eating it. Not something I'd want inside me.

Bookmark   January 26, 2006 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
Favorite tea kettle for induction?
Waiting patiently for my induction cooktop to be installed....
txjoyce
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
Wagners 1891 Dutch Oven
I have a couple of questions about a 5 qt Wagners 1891...
jpc57
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™