Salad Spinner

lighttJanuary 1, 2006

I noticed my local COSTCO currently has KitchenAid salad spinners (~$20.00, I think(?)).

Does anyone here have any experience with one of these?

Thanks,

Terry Light

Oak Hill, Virginia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbara9093

The KitchenAid looks similar to my salad spinner, which I think is an OXO. Mine doesn't have the option of spinning several items at the same time in a segmented basket, which the Kitchen Air has, although I don't know if that's something useful or gimmicky. I really like my pump salad spinner. The pump gets things spinning really fast, so your lettuce will be nice and dry.

One feature I like on mine is that you can lock the pump into a down position so it's easier to fit the spinner in a drawer. Does the KitchenAid have that? It seems to have a really tall pump, so you'd want to make sure you have a place to put it when you're not using it.

Barbara

Bookmark   January 1, 2006 at 9:41PM
steve_o

My spinner has the pull-string (think yo-yo) and it works well enough, but the pump style would be easier to use (no string to slip or get tangled up). It was a garage-sale buy, though, and for as often as I use it, it's fine. I don't know about the segmented basket. My experience is that greens take a lot of space, and that you'd end up using a few segments for a given recipe and the basket would be harder to clean anyway.

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 3:39PM
krustytopp

I don't know about the KitchenAid, but I just bought the OXO and I find it a huge disappointment, especially given its high cost. My old crank-style cheap thingy does a better job of drying. Maybe there is a particular technique that the user has to master for each spinner. With either spinner, I let the greens sit on the table for a while, uncovered, so that the residual moisture has a chance to evaporate.

It's just easier to buy the bagged (prewashed) salads.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 4:17PM
gardenlad

I don't think I've ever actually seen a crank-style, although I keep hearing references to them. The pull string type just seemed to fuss-budgety to me; and Mr. Murphy lies hiding behind every lettuce leaf.

I've had the large OXO for, oh, a dozen years anyway, and have never been dissatisfied with it. I fill the basket, give the pump a push or three, and let her rip.

I don't imagine the KA would be very much different. But I do wonder about the segmented basket, for the same reasons Steve-o gave.

Bookmark   June 21, 2006 at 6:56AM
BeverlyAL

I had what was supposed to be a battery powered OXO. I had to stand over and and continuously pump it to get it to turn. Even then it didn't get much water off the lettuce. Plus it took up a lot of cabinet space.

I haven't seen the KA one at Costco. I did however find a small crank Zyliss at TJMaxx and I love it! I tossed the OXO right in the trash.

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 2:06PM
Jean Popowitz

I had an old crank-style that had a hole in the top to run the water through, then you turned the water off & kept cranking to spin dry. A couple of weeks ago, I was outlet shopping and found a Tupperware store. They had a spinner that was a large bowl with a nice removeable basket so you soak the lettuce, swish it a bit and then pull the basket out to drain away the dirty water. Then you pop the spinner top on & crank away, lift off the top, lift out the basket & pour off the water again. The lettuce was nearly dry. The best part is the locking cover...you can pop the entire thing in the frig. It was $40 but I am very happy with it.

Bookmark   August 5, 2006 at 9:14PM
deniseburns

I have the costco salad spinner and I have one problem that probably is the result of not keeping the directions. When I pump the spinner it catches on the bottom and stops the spinning process. Help! What am I doing wrong. Otherwise I like it.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 11:01AM
marys1000

I have the small oxo and like it a lot but it is usually just a little too small to hold a whole section of leaf lettuce or romaine or whatever. So I got a bigger different brand (white with a light green handle pull for spinning vs. the pump the button up and down. Holds a lot but is too big and takes up half my fridge.
Just another thing to consider.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 9:23AM
w_fredfred_gmail_com

Just bought the Kitchen Aid pump-style salad spinner at Costco and I love it. I find the segments useful for cleaning just enough fresh veggies for a salad for two in one operation. It does a great job spinning the lettuce dry and I've had no difficulty with the spinning process. I guess it helps to be sure the inner bowl is set properly on the protrusion at the bottom of the outer bowl. I like the fact that I can store leftover salad in the outer bowl. It came with a cover for the pump hole so the top is well closed for refrigeration. I've been looking for a good salad spinner for long time and previously purchased an OXO collapsible salad spinner for its compactness but it did a terrible job drying the lettuce so I returned it. At long last, I have a salad spinner that does the job and then some.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
Club cast aluminum still made?
I am new to the list, so forgive me if this subject...
joan41
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22
Favorite tea kettle for induction?
Waiting patiently for my induction cooktop to be installed....
txjoyce
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™