deep fryer

black-thumbJanuary 25, 2009

Which would you prefer to have and why?

A deep fryer that has one large bin that comes with three baskets two medium and one large or a deep fryer that has two seperate fyers each with one medium basket. I'm not sure the two seperate fryers are worth $90. Although it might be nice to have them seperate one for fish one for other meats and other fry foods. Of course if one breaks then your stuck with just one anyway. The single fryer it might be nice to have a large single basket for fryed chicken or larger quantities of fish fries etc.

Link for Dual Fryer there is a video. Elite brand from HSN

http://kitchen-dining.hsn.com/elite-stainless-steel-dual-basket-deep-fryer_p-4731159_xp.aspx

or

This one is from Brylane Home $70

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

Be aware that all of these 110v deep-fryers are suitable for only small batches at a time. The small quantity oil, the terrific heat loss upon immersion, and the inability of 110v to keep the oil temp where it needs to be are problems with all of them.

Also be aware that any deep-fryer puts a lot of oil into the air which will soon coat anything and everything close to it. You'll want to position it under a good vent.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 5:58PM
asolo

PS to the OP.......

Be careful about mixing foods in the same oil. In particular, don't use the same oil for fish and other items. You can get away with multiple useage for chicken or potatoes but if you fry fish, shrimp, scallops, etc. and then fry anything else in that oil.....it will ALL taste like fish.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 11:24PM
black-thumb

They both come with lids to keep the splatter in.

Thats why I am considering getting the one with two seperate bins so one can be for fish and the other for other foods.

Thanks!

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 2:18PM
asolo

NEVER deep fry with a lid on! Dangerous! That moisture must be allowed free escape! Splatter isn't the issue.

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 12:38PM
asolo

FWIW...May/ June 2009 issue of Cooks Illustrated just published equipment test for electric deep fryers. (They much prefer pot-on-stove with thermometer clipped on -- as do I) Issue also has two pages on making tempura shrimp. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electric Deep Fryer Review from Cooks Illustrated.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 3:20PM
black-thumb

I got the dual fryer from HSN and love it! The food turns out great and for once I was able to fry chicken and have it turn out crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. I'm happy with it wouldn't trade it in for anything.

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
cooks essentials talking microwave
I don't know if I should post this here or on the cooking...
vacuumfreak
pie crust in a Breville all in one food processor
Can a pie crust be made in a Breville all in one food...
Sue Molitor
tin lined copper saute pan
I bought a large saute pan at a flea market a while...
selfsown
Sponsored Products
Sage Chain Link Embroidered Sheet Set
$14.99 | zulily
Prospect Loveseat in Black
$299.00 | LexMod
Round Dorchester Half Planter - A175014
$169.65 | Hayneedle
Brass Lamps: 15 in. Morning Star Antique Brass Table Lamp 7342/533
Home Depot
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot