Braiser pan or dutch oven

jono123January 31, 2006

Hi,

I want to get a pan to do some braising and the occasional stew.

Is a braiser pan a better choice then a dutch oven?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

Not sure that I have ever seen a braiser pan? A cast iron dutch oven or a Le Creuset French oven is certainly great for cooking by braising in liquid.

The following link to a thread on the Cooking Forum discusses all the uses for the Le Creuset French oven.

Here is a link that might be useful: Le Creuset thread

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 7:35AM
leel

I have both, but use my Le Creuset dutch oven for stews.

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 3:39PM
jono123

Thanks for the posts! They are helpful.

leel, does this mean you prefer the braiser for braising? Braising is my primary desire.

teresa_nc7,
What I meant was something like the All Clad at the link below. It is relatively wide with low sides like a fry pan and has a domed lid. I have seen one of LC's casserole dishes with domed lid referred to as a braising pan as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to All Clad Brasier Pan

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 2:50AM
leel

Frankly, I think the braising pan is another way for cookware producers to make money! I bought the pan because it works well for items that require a somewhat shallow pan, and which, in my opinion, is attractive enough to go to the table. I also use it for things, like shrimp, that I want to broil. If I could have only one of the two items, I'd choose Le Creuset because it can be used for so many different types of recipes.

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 2:02PM
lindac

A braiser pan is just an old fashioned chicken frier with a different name.
Buy one if you really want one....but a heavy Dutch oven will do the same thing and more.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 7:38PM
robinkateb

Personally I would go with the Le Creuset dutch oven. I use mine mostly for braising and I love it. I think the stainless steel in a braising pan would be a problem for clean up and also would not maintain the temperature as wonderfully.

-Robin

Bookmark   February 4, 2006 at 10:32PM
jerrymb

Hi Guys, check this out, i bought a cast iron / enamel braser, with a pyrex domed lid, It looked like my 5 1/2 qt LC's lid might be the same size, well it is so now i have a new experiment. this short sided pan should work great, i will find out soon, oh by the way my olive & tyme 5 qt cast iron / enamel pot's lid works great on my cast iron fry pan, i have already tested this setup, works like a champ

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 1:47AM
jono123

Thanks again for you posts...I will get a dutch oven and I cannot wait to try it out once I get it. I am using just a plain aluminum "casserole" (i.e. small stock pot with domed lid) and hope to get better results in cast iron.

Bookmark   February 7, 2006 at 2:00AM
More Discussions
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
White film/Oxidation on Wusthof Handles
I recently bought a set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives...
rmverb
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™