desktop vs laptop

angie1010October 11, 2013

My desktop (all in one) needs to be replaced. Should I get a desktop with a tower, all in one again, or a laptop? Would like whichever is better for versatility. Thanks. Angie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

It all depends on you. I prefer a tower in my office, my office is a very nice place to be. I don't like to type on a laptop. As far as the tower and all in one, according my information the tower is cooler so will probably last longer.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 6:41PM
owbist

So much depends on how you like to work or play. Like Emma I much prefer a desktop computer, I find messing about with a laptop on my knees in an armchair nothing but aggravation. Others have a totally different idea on that score, my grand kids all seem to sit like Indian fakirs crosslegged on the sofa with laptops totally relaxed.

If you check store shelves you might notice a more limited choice of desktops compared to laptops.

I have 2 laptops, one was a gift the other a freebie and neither see the light of day too often. Every few months I drag them out to update them, nothing else.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 9:27PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I like both a desktop and a laptop.

For my office, I plan on always having a tower computer with a separate monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. At one time, I considered purchasing an all-in-one, but after an extensive review/research decided the all-in-one would not be optimal.

For my bedroom, I have a laptop with connection to the internet available via a wireless network through my office desktop.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 1:07PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Should have added that if I could have only one computer, it would be the desktop.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 1:08PM
SnidelyWhiplash

If you connect a monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse to a laptop, it becomes a desktop. A desktop that becomes a laptop when you pull out three plugs.

For a desktop, I prefer the All in ones. They take up less room and have a cleaner, cord-free appearance (because they come with wireless keyboards and mice).

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 1:29PM
kudzu9

I have a very nice Sony Vaio all-in-one with a 24" screen, which has given me good service for 5 years. However, the one disadvantage is that, if something fails -- like the screen -- the repair cost could be a lot higher than simply replacing the standalone monitor for your desktop. Also, it's essentially impossible to upgrade parts inside the case, and replacement of a failed component would require taking it to a shop. I really like my all-in-one, but may not get another when it's time for a new computer.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 1:47PM
angie1010

Thank you for your advice. I think I will go with a desktop with a tower.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 2:58PM
DA_Mccoy

Never heard of a user dropping a desktop.

DA

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 3:46PM
joe_mn

Went to a spiderman website and they had some hi res pics of newest movie with Jamie foxx. 1 pic was of Peter Parker's room at home. Shows his desk quite well. He had a LCD monitor in view but it did not look like an all in one unit pc and I did not see any tower near desk. Whew. Talk about fanboy gripes.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 1:17PM
SnidelyWhiplash

"Never heard of a user dropping a desktop"

I've seen it myself - at work, I saw a desktop slip off a cart while being moved.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 5:31PM
DA_Mccoy

Abstract to what I was referring to.

DA

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 5:44PM
albert_135

Posted by snidely (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 13:29

If you connect a monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse to a laptop, it becomes a desktop. A desktop that becomes a laptop when you pull out three plugs.

I have this arrangement using a TV, a wireless keyboard and a laptop. When I go to the hospital, as I often do, I just take the laptop. (It was once cheaper, and may still be cheaper, to get an e-machine tower and a wireless keyboard and use the TV screen. But this lacks the portability of the laptop..)

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
Super-AntiSpyware - where do I go to get it?
Super-antispyware - that IS the GOOD one, isn't it?...
Janey - formerly jane2
System Notification To Defrag Drive C
Howdy. Win7/IE8/Desktop/AVG. This morning on boot...
candler
MacBook--Image Frozen on Screen
Anyone know what this means? (or how to rotate the...
Can't figure out why my Firefox Colorful Tabs don't display
My colorful tabs stopped working and I can't figure...
lynnalexandra
Nasty popup screen
I am constantly getting a 3 by 4 inch video popup screen...
paulsmth2
Sponsored Products
Winners Only Topaz 57 in. Computer Desk - Cinnamon - GT257CF
$886.00 | Hayneedle
KRAUS Kitchen All-in-One Farmhouse Apron Front Stainless Steel 32.9 in. 0-Hole
Home Depot
White Desk Lamps: 12.83 in. White USB LED Speaker Desk Lamp with Microphone LS30
$49.99 | Home Depot
Riva Brushed Steel USB Port Table Lamp with Power Outlet
Lamps Plus
Reid Ottoman
Design Within Reach
Metal Letter Holder
$17.99 | zulily
USA vs CAN Hockey Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$74.99 | zulily
Chelsea Home Leah Accent Chair - Magenta Rainforest Multicolor - 2036-CH
$619.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: