How does the "after bids" meeting go?

sweet.reverieSeptember 17, 2012

Our builder has all the bids in and I am SO nervous! We, like others, are trying to keep the build "modest" (not sure what counts as modest!) but we will be helping with some of the work as is allowed by our lender and such.

How did this meeting go for you? If you were over-budget, what next steps did you take?

Thanks in advance?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Houseofsticks

We were over budget like many, but we spoke to the builder on our must haves and sorted out our needs (ie.granite in the laundry room is out as was soapstone) we were able to find some savings in the materials our contractor buys from his suppliers ($10 porcelain sinks/$5sqft hardwood floors...) we do however have to go through the sales "yard" to pick them out. We considered doing some unfinished areas...less custom areas(empty closets). It really depends on how much over you are and what your willing to forgo: sqftage, finishes, ceiling heights, appliances,...

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 10:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gaonmymind

We came in 8% over and decided to bid it out to other GC's just to double check pricing. We also got rid of a playroom upstairs and tweeked a few things. Like originally i was going to do a wide plank floor but am going with a narrow width. I didn't care what it was as long as it was site finished wood.

In the end our builder was able to come down to within 1% of the budget. Also we are building fixed price so along the way I won't have cost surprises.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
help, is main gable too flat/not enough dimension?
last chance to change it. Will this front elevation...
msmith110705
Front Entry door
I am totally out of my comfort zone on the one! We...
3ilovepie
The movers are scheduled, now what to do?
We called our movers and they will be here on the 16th....
aimless07
It's February 2015- How is your build going?
January was a surprisingly active month! I admire all...
mushcreek
help me choose our floors
We have 2 options for our floors - white oak (longer...
3ilovepie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™