Try to fix or just do a system restore?

lotodigOctober 1, 2011

I have just days ago updated my Firefox to the version 6 and then on to 7. I"ve spent days off and on tweaking and adjusting all the settings and Add on's that I like.

I was trying to do some updates on some other programs and thought I would try the Secunia program. Well, all seemed ok except that the program did not recognize that I had Firefox 7.01 installed. It was listed Firefox 3.6 and was in the "insecure " and "apply update" list. Here's the problem..somehow Secunia reverted my Firefox back to the earlier version 3.6. I noticed that my fonts and toolbars were totally different so I checked the Firefox version and sure enough the version was 3.6.

I know to just go and redo the firefox update, but when I got to the point to do the install it gives a choice of STANDARD or CUSTOM options. Which one should I choose to make sure that all the settings are replaced that I have spent days adjusting and tweaking.

should I trust that all the settings will be the new ones like I had them in the 7.01 version or do a system restore.

I have HP Pavilion 64,Vista, FF, IE

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zep516

You could try a System Restore and see what happens, remember you can always un-do the restore point and go back to where you were, one of the great features of System Restore. Go ahead and try it. I'll help you un-do it if it's not successful.

If you tried using System Restore to fix a problem but the problem remained or other problems were introduced, you can undo the restore operation.

See link for additional infor on the above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Un do System Restore instructions

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 3:05PM
lotodig

Thanks zep, I'll do the system restore, keep my fingers crossed.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 3:12PM
lotodig

zep, I did a system restore but when the computer rebooted and the desktop came back I tried to open a web page but nothing will connect in FF. Even in the start menu it will not open when i click on the FF icon. So I have lost the whole FF set up.

I am here thanks to my IE browser, thank goodness I have that.

Would appreciate advice about what to do next...undo restore or just do another FF7 install and hope the new install will pick up all my hard earned settings I had on FF 7 before this happened.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 4:14PM
zep516

Undo the restore point, lets put the computer back to where it was and then look at the Firefox issue.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 4:19PM
lotodig

OK did the UNDO SYSTEM RESTORE. I am back on FF3.6.23. Looks like where I am when I first posted, which is good I hope.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 5:07PM
zep516

install it gives a choice of STANDARD or CUSTOM options.

Can you do the Custom install now?

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 5:19PM
mikie_gw

FF custom ... its simple,, just shows you what its going to do.. no major choices that would confuse.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 5:37PM
lotodig

yes I did the custom install, and now have FF7.01. Some of the toolbar settings have carried through, most have not...only 3 add ons came through.

Do you know of any way to find the list of add ons that I had so I can just hopefully enable them?

I sure hate the thought of going through all that again. Things like this are what makes me say I live in the land of "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT." But that would be too easy wouldn't it.

thanks for your guidance...

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 5:55PM
zep516

You could look in the add / on list an see what's there.

Click>Tools in the browser then click >ADD / ONS.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 6:00PM
lotodig

I have done that, i'll do some googling and research to see if I can find a way to recover everything before I start over doing them one by one.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 6:34PM
zep516

Here's a start for some add / ons

Here is a link that might be useful: addons.mozilla.org

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 7:02PM
grandms

If I had that much trouble with FF, I'd just abandon it and use another browser. Have you tried Chrome or Opera? I've had very good luck with FF and Chrome. I don't use but a couple of add-ons, so I haven't had your problems. What I like about Chrome is that you don't need so many add-ons.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 8:31PM
lotodig

ya know I thought about that but then it seems it would be just as easy to redo something i'm familiar with than to set up a whole new browser. BUT,when I get back on track I am going to install Chrome and see how it compares to FF, then the next time stuff likes this happens it's by by FF

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
GW/Houzz page rendering on my browser
Weird question about GW/Houzz, over the last six months,...
dbarron
Helping a elderly friend with their computer remotely
She is in her 90's, lives alone and needs help with...
jane__ny
Outlook problem bugging me
From my email program outlook 2013 I keep getting a...
big_al_41
Still using XP with no problems.
Just thought this might interest those who are doing...
Jane
What's with this new Houzz thing?
Been away a couple days, and came back to this, what...
shaddy101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™