Review Plan Please

dreambuilderSeptember 26, 2012

Be kind. I'm a novice and I have worked very hard on figuring out how to make the most functional space I can. I know the scale is not correct. My main concern is to have very large storage areas--closets, laundry, etc...Thanks:)

Tentative sizes:

entry: 8 x 12

dining: 15 x 15

office: 15 x 15

3 bedrooms: 15 x 15

bedroom baths: 8 x8 except one with tub 7 x 13

laundry: skewed but 15 x 15 apx. square footage with 2 islands--one for laundry baskets one for work space which are 4 x 6 each

bedroom closets--10 x 10

master bedroom--17 x 19

master bath--?? thoughts?

master closet--14 x 20 with 2 islands for drawers 4x6 each

kitchen--20 1/2 x 24 with island 10 1/2 x 6 1/2 (i want an office nook which is the cubby area you see)

informal dining (sunroom)--14 x 14

covered deck--18 x 24

pantry--15 x 13 (this is huge on purpose)

mudroom closet--all coats and all shoes/gloves/snowpants/sport equipment/etc. will go here 15 x 15 (would like island in there as well)--again I want this huge--it will be a workhorse room

Powder room-??? thoughts I don't want to have to squeeze in to get to toilet.

--cubbies in back hallway by garage

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kelhuck

Is there a plan to go along with the room sizes?

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 10:48PM
dreambuilder

There is--on the "preview" screen it is there but then when I hit submit it doesn't show up. Not sure what the problem is...will post as soon as I can...anyone have a suggestion to fix it?

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 11:22PM
bjewell1

The plan looks alright, but like you said the scale is way off. So it's hard to comment on anything until that's fixed.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 10:13AM
dreambuilder

Does anyone know of a free planner where I could type in my dimensions and have it draw it to scale? Thanks. The above is from floorplanner.com

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 5:44PM
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

No, all CAD programs (free or otherwise) require you to draw each room to the size you want. Computers can't know which way you want to move a room if it doesn't quite fit with other rooms that you've drawn.

Try this instead. Get some graph paper and cut out rectangles to scale to represent each room you want. If you use the standard 1/4 inch graph paper, it usually works well to let each square represent a 2 ft or 3 ft square. Label each rectangle with which room it is.

Then sit down at your kitchen table and push the pieces around until you have a layout that you like. You'll probably find that you have to make some rooms larger or smaller than you originally planned. You'll see this when you're forced to overlap two pieces or leave gaps between some pieces.

Once you have a layout you like, tape the pieces down then get a fresh sheet of graph paper and DRAW what you have. (You can tape two or more pieces of graph paper together - matching up the lines carefully - if a single sheet isn't large enough.) Use a black felt-tip pen to go over the lines then scan the image or, lay it down flat and take a photograph and post that. Or, you can go back to floorplanner.com and DRAW what you have created.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
Small things that get forgotten
I keep hearing that most people find that there are...
auroraborelis
Floorplan review
Hi everyone. My husband and I are working on building...
sarahbr2
New Build Floorplan, timberframe house, input appreciated
So I’m yet another person looking for input on a floorplan....
am_e
New here. Please critique my house plan sketch, thanks
Hello. We are a family of 5 hoping to build a house...
angeliquereagan
Desireable slope for drainage away from house and garage?
We're building a rectangular-ish house with an attached...
lookintomyeyes83
Sponsored Products
Elk Lighting 23H in. Pneumatic Pump Accessory - 51-10031
$104.00 | Hayneedle
Ancaster 17 1/4" High Copper Outdoor Wall Light
$99.98 | Lamps Plus
Campania International Trieste Bird Bath - B-101-NA
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Small One-Light Outdoor Wall Sconce
$172.95 | Bellacor
Jasmine Silver Six-Light Clear Optic Handcut Crystal Chandelier, 22.5W x 24H x 2
Bellacor
Porto White Dome Pendant
$301.50 | Bellacor
Henri Studio Sunflower Tall Patio Bubbler Fountain
Lamps Plus
Filament Design Ceiling Mounted Lighting Concord 3 Light Ceiling Bronze
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™