Shorten master shower entrance to avoid seams on vertical marble

threeapplesDecember 1, 2012

I bought threshold pieces to use along the "jamb" frame of the opening of the master bedroom shower. The longest pieces available were 78". Our opening is 80". Should we lower the opening to 78" or have the tile guy use two pieces per vertical side of marble in the jamb and have a grout line there. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sofla

Are these pieces on the inside of the doorway matching up with baseboard tile? What is on the wall exterior of the door? Is it baseboard or tile baseboard where the grout line can match up to the upper edge of baseboard or grout line tile on walls. Not sure I explained myself well.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 2:18PM
threeapples

There will be a glass door that rests on a solid marble threshold. The tile guy is using thresholds on the inner edges of the shower entrance. Is that what you meant?

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 3:49PM
kirkhall

I think my question is--do you mean the height is 80 inches, or the length is 80 inches? (are we talking along the bottom/front and therefore part of the pan, or are we strictly talking door jam, the vertical sides?)

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 11:29PM
mongoct

I'm 6'4". But even so, I don't think a 6'6" entry would be a lack of headroom issue.

Would dropping the entry height mess with the tile layout inside the shower?

Or would raising the curb 2" have a negative effect?

Another option, but again it depends on your style of shower entry and how it's being trimmed out...

But I'll toss it out anyway:

To keep your 78" piece intact, consider adding a 2" tall "plinth block" under the 78" jamb. The plinth could be a true plinth, standing proud of the upper jamb. Or it could be flush, the same thickness as the upper jamb. The thickness of the 2" tall jamb plinth would have to relate to the width of the casing plinth.

Plinth blocks are usually used on the casing and not the jamb. But we're going with the flow here. ; )

Regardless of the plinth thickness, to do that I'd want the top of that 2" tall jamb plinth to match the top of a plinth block on the door casing. That way the grout lines look like they belong.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words...and thanks to a new scanner I got last night...

I don't know what your overall style is, but in my eye, adding a 2" block under your 78" jamb looks perfectly fine if the top edge of the "jamb plinth" matches the top edge of the casing plinth.

There are myriad variables to the above. It's a matter of tailoring it to your style and it not impinging on a door if a door will be installed.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Uberhaus Shower Column
Hello, I am looking for any feedback anyone can lend...
johnmaks
Bertch 60" single bowl vanity for hall bath
I would appreciate some advice and insight on my dilemma....
Sofia Akhter
40" for double vanity, any suggestions?
Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a...
rickyk22
Need help with bathroom finishes!
Hey everyone! I have a minor dilemma about my master...
meg270070
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™