cast iron bathtubs

KateB22December 13, 2013

I am deciding between cast iron and acrylic for a new bathtub. I am looking at kohler at it seems the pricing between he two is close. I know there are many discussions on this but I want to see what people thinkg. I have read that cast iron tubs get the water cold really fast. This sounds like a horrible thing when the object is to take a bath. Yet other people say they are the best tubs/ Please tell me if in fact they get the water too cold too fast and an acrylic is better, and also why some ppl really like cast iron? ( enameled cast iro)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_mom

Love our cast iron tubs (Toto). It is my understanding that cast iron might start out colder, but is better at heat retention.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 1:22AM
enduring

Cast iron will out live you! And the finish is beautiful.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 8:58AM
KateB22

I get that they look better than acrylic. But in terms of the bat experience- those of you who have cast iron- please verify the truth about the water getting cold or not very quickly in them?

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 12:40PM
KateB22

I get that they look better than acrylic. But in terms of the bat experience- those of you who have cast iron- please verify the truth about the water getting cold or not very quickly in them?

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 12:41PM
cat_mom

I don't find it does, neither does DH.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 4:37PM
writersblock

Cast iron holds heat better than anything else does.

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 5:45PM
KateB22

I hear from some ppl that cast iron holds heat better, but I hear from others that it takes so much heat to get the tub warm that the bath goes cold.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 4:48PM
shanghaimom

I have both. I prefer the cast iron and wish I had used it in the bath where I used acrylic.

My cast iron looks nicer, feels nicer, and cleans more easily. The acrylic looks kind of dull/chalky /dirty very quickly and must be cleaned with soap scum remover to look shiny again. I'm worried that I'm ruining the finish. (It is 2 years old.)

The cast iron tub retains heat very well during a bath--there is no noticeable difference between the two for that.

I debated this same issue. I thought the acrylic was just fine until remodel #2, where I used the cast iron, and now I know that I like that better.

One factor in my decision was ease of moving--we had a tight hallway and corner to get around and the acrylic was MUCH easier to maneuver.

Both tubs are Kohlers.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
Vanities on opposite walls -- how much width?
Hey all. We are trying to design a long and narrow...
jenmendel23
Marble bathroom question?
I am a lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from...
sokool1
? Factory sealed carrera tile- anyone??
I went to the tile store today and was planning on...
amspinn
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™