Win 7 Update problem

haldOctober 14, 2013

My Win 7 laptop has always been set to install updates automatically. The laptop has worked just fine, and I've had no issues with it. In September there was an automatic Windows update, and when it downloaded and installed the laptop would not boot up the next time I turned it on.

I was able to get the laptop into safe mode, and then use system restore to "return the laptop to an earlier time." I then turned off automatic updates, and the laptop has run fine ever since.

My question is what do I need to do to figure out why the update makes my laptop not boot (it always ended with a black screen)? I'd like to keep things updated....
The laptop is an I7 with 4gb of ram. It's never had any problems before... It's about 4 years old.
Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnidelyWhiplash

I had a similar problem with that update, it caused one of my PCs to freeze up and then not reboot correctly. It happens from time to time that an update can cause a hiccup. I don't know enough about it to know why.

In my case, it just needed a "kick" - a safe mode reboot. I made no update setting changes, the PC proceeded with the update install and all is well. You might try doing that, and more than once if necessary, the problem should pass.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
What's with this new Houzz thing?
Been away a couple days, and came back to this, what...
shaddy101
Lenovo's "malware" not just Lenovo's.
It's been found in a dozen or so apps, some pre-installed,...
lazy_gardens
Helping a elderly friend with their computer remotely
She is in her 90's, lives alone and needs help with...
jane__ny
Google Stylish add-on help
I have Google Stylish add-on but don't know how to...
Cricketm
Changing HOUZZ page appearance
I use Chrome browser and have an extension called Change...
jean_mi_z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™