REF with door dispenser - to panel or not to panel?

Mary22woodOctober 4, 2013

We are planning a kitchen remodel and are wondering if you anyone has had experience with the water dispenser on refs with wood paneling. Does the water dripping (it always does at some point) ruin the wood over time? We are considering the GE monogram or Sub Zero. I like Kitchenaid too. I will never buy a VIking again because of past exp. I read bad things and good things about all of these brands. Price isn't an issue really, we just want a quality product. If we don't get the water dispenser (which my H really wants) what other option is there besides filling a pitcher all the time. Which I suppose I wouldn't have any problem with. I appreciate any comments!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
philwojo99

My personal opinion is that if you are going to put cabinet grade paneling on a fridge, why would you ruin the look with an in door water dispenser?

There are options for that to be inside the fridge, if you must have it on the fridge.

Other options are a water dispenser at the sink, which to me is a much better option. Less problems with fridge units that don't have anything coming out of the door compared to those that do.

And any time you can buy things in a separate fashion you will also get better quality out of those items. Meaning if you buy a fridge with a water dispenser it is not as good as just a fridge or just a water dispenser, there are compromises that are always made when you combine any two or more items together.

Phil

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 7:15PM
foodonastump

My personal opinion, panels look best on appliances that are fully integrated to really look like part of the cabinetry. If you want an external ice/water dispenser - which I can totally understand, it was a requirement for us - then accept that the fridge is going to look like a fridge and don't bother dressing it up. It's really not that embarrassing, we've all got fridges!

If water is the only concern, then I'd do something at the sink like Phil suggests.

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 3:16PM
lmsscs

I'm with the others and when I chose to panel my fridge I got one without a dispenser. If I was going to leave it stainless I would have had a dispenser.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Vent hood, Broan, Vent a Hood, Zephyr, or Kobe
I am looking for a 36'' under cabinet hood for a 36''...
abick2
Sealed vs Open Gas Burners
What's the difference between sealed gas burners and...
cbarkston
Coffee Machines
What is the best built in coffee machine for your buck?...
J Saleh
Anyone have a Jenn-Air 48' range?
Hello, I was ready to buy a 48" DCS 5-burner w/griddle...
susan3733
Any Opinions on the JennAir Steam Oven or other steam/conv oven?
I'm looking for opinions on the JennAir Steam and Convection...
seb225
Sponsored Products
Frigidaire 8,000 BTU White Window Air Conditioner and 1.7-pint Dehumidifier (Ref
Overstock.com
Round White Ceramic Wall Mounted Toilet
TheBathOutlet
KAS Rugs Reflections 7413 Palette Area Rug - Black / White - REF741327X411
$76.50 | Hayneedle
Contemporary White Ceramic Wall Hung Toilet
TheBathOutlet
Outdoor Lighting. Farm and Home 1-Light 14 in. Outdoor Silver Yardlight with Ref
$59.97 | Home Depot
Round White Ceramic Wall Hung Toilet
TheBathOutlet
Imperial NHL Bar Height Directors Chair - IMP IMP 400-4101
$172.78 | Hayneedle
Sedona by Lynx 20 in. Outdoor Refrigerator - L500REF
$999.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™