Word/Excel Files Open in Viewer Mode - MS Office Std Edition 2003

daltexOctober 2, 2011

When I receive a file (both xls and doc) created by someone else or open a file stored on my system, it initially opens in "viewer" mode only, whereby I can't edit/save the file. I DO KNOW I can go to file/open for editting and a new copy will open that I can edit. Somehow a setting has changed (after someone worked on my PC), since I previously could open up a file and edit/save immediately.

I have tried searching tools/options and any other area, but I must be overlooking where I need to make the change ... Can anyone provide some guideance?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azinoh

Use Windows Explorer. Right-click the filename, then select Properties. Is the file marked as "read-only"? If yes, uncheck it...click APPLY, then OK. Did that make a difference?

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 12:47PM
daltex

I followed your suggestion on a file saved to my system and the file did not have the "read only" box checked, but when I open it ... it defaults to "file viewer" mode.

When I try the same action on a file sent to me, selection of properties does not show the check boxes for read only, etc.

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 1:20PM
jean001a

When you open the file, look at the yellow band near the top of the screen. Locate a boxed phrase saying "Enable editing" toward the right. Click it.

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 1:39PM
daltex

I truly appreciate azinoh and you trying to help. I do not see the yellow band, nor the "enable editing", so are you sure your version is Office Std 2003 and not a "newer" version?

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 1:50PM
DA_Mccoy

A stretch here, but did you check the file associations?

DA

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
GW/Houzz page rendering on my browser
Weird question about GW/Houzz, over the last six months,...
dbarron
Basic Video Help Needed
I know almost nothing about getting videos from video...
chas045
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
About those Garden Web Styles themes and skins for Firefox
I see they are authored by GW members. Thank you everyone....
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
Still using XP with no problems.
Just thought this might interest those who are doing...
Jane
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™