cased opening or not cased arch?

Bridget HelmSeptember 17, 2013

we have 2 6 foot wide cased openings that are centered right and left in our living room. would arched openings that aren't cased be less expensive than cased openings like this?

the walls there are 10"

Here is an example of the 10" openings that my builder does. I'm thinking the arches would be more budget friendly?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TaylorApple

But are you going to be happy with arches long-term? I too toyed with the 2 options but was afraid the arches would look dated in a few years. (My grandparents put them in their house they built in 1951). A simple clean opening like you pictured seems much more timeless and classic. Can your builder choose a different style of casing and maybe save you some $? Good luck with your decision!

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 9:43PM
TaylorApple

But are you going to be happy with arches long-term? I too toyed with the 2 options but was afraid the arches would look dated in a few years. (My grandparents put them in their house they built in 1951). A simple clean opening like you pictured seems much more timeless and classic. Can your builder choose a different style of casing and maybe save you some $? Good luck with your decision!

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 9:44PM
TaylorApple

Sorry for duplicates!

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 10:10PM
allison0704

The exterior you posted on another thread has an arched front door. The style of your home leans to interior arched openings. I would use them to help break up the interior trim.

Our home has arched openings wherever there is an opening without a door. It's a new "old" home. If you'd like to see pictures, I've linked below. They were taken 5 yrs ago but there are more current photos in other articles.

Here is a link that might be useful: My house

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 8:17AM
ILoveRed

Do you have kids?

If you do, your uncased openings will look terrible in no time.

I would spend the money and case the openings.

If it's all adults, choose esthetics and budget.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 10:36AM
nini804

Well, I think all openings should be cased, both arched and regular, unless it is a southwestern style home or something with those thick plaster walls. I think uncased openings look unfinished. I do think cased arches are particularly pretty. Our openings are cased, and in some rooms we jazzed them up with additional trim.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 2:43PM
kam76

We have a couple of arches going in. Does anyone have any pictures of cased arches in their home? Is this something that would be a difficult DIY after we move in? We are trying to save some $ and thought this might be something we could do later, but if it is huge pain as an after project, we will just bite the bullet and have the builder do it.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 6:38PM
worthy

Aside from an architectural modern, leaving casings off looks exactly like what it is: cheap. Like windows without jambs.

Cased ArchwaySource: mitrecontracting.com

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 6:53PM
worthy

Aside from an architectural modern, leaving casings off looks exactly like what it is: cheap. Like windows without jambs.

Cased ArchwaySource: mitrecontracting.com

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 6:54PM
PRO
Bridget Helm

at the start, i insisted that all openings be cased, for 2 reasons - it looks finished and because we have 4 kids. now that we are trying to shave some costs, i am having to reconsider a few things.

i thought that since they are 6 feet wide that maybe the kids won't touch them. however, as i'm typing, i see my 10 year old practicing some football move in between a huge 10 foot cased opening in to our dining room. lol!!

so i'll leave them cased. they'll get really dingy otherwise. i already scream "don't touch my walls, please" at least 3 times a day to my children or a neighbors child. i don't need to add "don't touch the openings!"

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 6:37PM
PRO
Bridget Helm

allison, did you use Peacock pavers in your home. That's what Bobby McAlpine uses in many of his homes. I've never seen them in person.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 6:45PM
allison0704

I ordered samples, but back when we were building they did not have the thin pavers. Our main level is travertine and the lower level is an Italian porcelain tile. Next house I will use Peacock Pavers.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 9:27PM
ddr000

We wanted a modern/transitional look, and went with uncased arches, and bullnosed corners. We love the look; this wasn't a cost savings measure. The bullnosed corners add an architectural detail and interest.

Adding some casing in the future isn't a huge expensive project, should you change your mind. Unless you go nuts with the trim, it should only be a few hundred per opening -- most trim is under $5/lf. Installation and painting are pretty easy.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 11:58PM
More Discussions
Clearing land - Forestry mulching
We bought our land and are anxious to get it cleared...
cricket5050
Master Bedroom Floorplan Review
Hello, I am currently working on building a new house...
mary8153
Ole cahaba brick-henry brick
Anyone using ole cahaba brick? If so what mortar colors...
barroberts
NEW to New Build - A/C Option Input Needed
I've been lurking around this board for a few weeks...
katiejay
Floorplan Feedback-I think we're getting close!
This is the upstairs. The office in the lower corner...
edwardshome
Sponsored Products
Cabana wall clock 12"
Origin Crafts
Antique Pewter Finish Arched 4-Light 33" Wide Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Series 7041 Ruby Matte White Sconce
$148.50 | Bellacor
HappyLight Liberty
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Giuliana Pendant
Lightology