Cultured marble countertops

pumpkinhouseDecember 27, 2013

Does anyone still put these in? I asked at the local kitchen and bath store for an inexpensive countertop option, and she recommended cultured marble. Is this less expensive than laminate? I have my doubts...it looks very 20-30 years ago to me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Anna_in_TX

Yes and no.

Here in Houston, TX builders are still putting them in second baths in tract homes. Remodelers are pulling them out of master baths in favor of granite. A fabricated vanity from a granite remnant is cheaper than one from cultured marble.

Remember, cultured marble is only as good as the fabricator shop because everything is done by hand - painting the gel gloss coat in the form (thickness), pouring the cultured marble mix into the form and then the finishing sanding and polishing. The quality of the binders and colorant in the shop's recipe can affect the appearance. The gelcoat is really fiberglass and will yellow over time. I do not see a lot of innovation in styles and colors even here in Houston where there are still a lot of shops. If you do go this route, check out Houzz.com for ideas. Most cultured vanities now are using tile for the backsplash and more modern shaped sinks. Be careful of the quality of the big box store vanities.

Laminate is not used that much. If you do go to Houzz you will see it used especially in modern baths. I still think it is a nice alternative if you use a tile backspash and a current edge. If you go this route, select a drop in sink that makes a statement - order a nice sink online. Laminate has increased in price to where it is not the totally cheap alternative that it once was. You will probably have to have a contractor install the sheet on site or go to a countertop shop and have them make one in their shop because the premade styles are very limited in the big box stores. The preformed backsplash will date you so use tile instead.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Strom Thermostatic Control Valve & Volume Controls for Shower
I am looking at the Strom Plumbing shower system for...
nancyinmich
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
40" for double vanity, any suggestions?
Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a...
rickyk22
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™