Refrigerator with stainless side panels?

JamieOctober 28, 2012

I'm looking at nonfancy brand bottom freezer refrigerators with 35-36" width and traditional deeper-than-counter depth. I am open to counter depth but I can't go wider and I want 25 cu ft minimum. I don't want to pay Subzero-level prices. The only one I have seen that has stainless (or stainless-look) sides is the GE Cafe. It has a water dispenser in the door and I wanted to avoid those.

Do you know of any other?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeageaux

GE Profile PFSS5NFCSS

Electrolux and KitchenAid used to make them too but with rising SS prices this is becoming rare.

KA has one with SS "look" side panels at cheaper price.

KitchenAid Architect Series II KBFS25EWMS

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 6:44PM
Jamie

Thanks! I'll have to find a place that sells KA so I can see this "monochromatic" finish.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 10:31PM
jwvideo

The "ss look" panels may or may not match.

I just bought one of the KA's with stainless doors and "matching" painted side panels. When I saw the floor model underr florsecent lights in the store, the sides seemed to be a light gray, but in my kitchen the side panels seem kind of dark. More like the "slate" color you see with DCS/Fisher & Paykel and Viking fridges.

The issues of stainless-front/painted sides has been getting some discussion here at GW for the better part of a decade. Seems as though all stainless is pretty expensive. Check out these threads for some suggestions on models with stainless side panels.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0112184421665.html?11

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg092025543223.html

Kitchenaid/Whirlpool/Amana as well as GE sell add-on stainless side panels but they are expensive -- like $400/panel expensive. For example, see this link:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/W10136753.html

You could see about getting a local fabricator to make you a panel but it probably would not be much less expensive. When I checked in my area, I was quoted $300/panel. At one point, Lowes and maybe Home Depot sold magnetic mounting SS panels.

I recall seeing somewhere an ad for stainless-look contact paper. Seems like that would be pretty cheesy, though.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
American Range? Buyer Beware!
It is with big frustration that I am reporting an unacceptable...
foodiefrog
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
Help with induction please
I am planning to buy induction when we reno the kitchen....
sherri1058
Zephyr vs Modern Aire vs Prizer Under the Cabinet 30"
I will have a 30" induction range, and need an...
cudjoegal
Downdraft for Island
I've decided to get the Bosch Flex Induction cooktop...
comom27
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™