Refrigerator/upright freezer door suction

uptownOctober 6, 2008

What causes the vacuum/sucking sound that I hear when the door closes? Some times the suction is so great that you have to wait some time for the suction to relax before you can reopen the door if I just happen to want to reopen the door immediately after closing. Thanks for all who reply!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canuck99

What make of fridge?

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 6:49PM
llaatt22

When you open the door, the dense cold air "dumps" off the shelves and flows down to the floor. While this is going on less dense warmer room air moves in and takes the place of the cold air. When the door is closed the external airflow stops and the warmer air is trapped, surrounded by cold surfaces, and drawn through the cooling system to be chilled and recirculated. As the air is quickly cooled it takes up less space and creates a temporary lower pressure (small vacuum) within the unit compared to outside. While this pressure difference is small, it is being applied to the entire door seal from the outside and until the slight leakage that is usually present equalizes the inside and outside pressure, the door will not easily open.

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 8:20PM
canuck99

So if a fridge excepts this behaviour it would appear it is a good thing? Tight seal?

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 9:36PM
llaatt22

Yes the initial extra force on the closed door would help the seal work better later. It would be nice if some sort of pressure equalizer valve was built into the door handles for those "locked out" times when people are in a hurry.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 9:40AM
joe_blowe

"It would be nice if some sort of pressure equalizer valve was built into the door handles for those "locked out" times when people are in a hurry."

It already exists: the human index finger. Just shove it into the gasket to break the seal and, voilÃÂ , pressure equalization!

(Of course, this doesn't work for those with fancy refrigerators that are built-in and have hidden gaskets ;-)

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Does Wolf M-Series Double Oven come with Temperature Probe?
If yes, great. If not, does anyone know how much the...
wcutiew
Ordered my BlueStar!
I ordered and paid my deposit on my BlueStar on Saturday....
Debbi Branka
Bluestar platinum vs Capital Culinarian
We are deciding on kitchen appliances for our upgrade...
malba2366
Bluestar Platinum Owners - How is your Range
How is it to use the grill and griddle? ie ease of...
dzaner
DCS double wall oven--reviews?
I'm in the market for a double wall oven and saw a...
anna_chosak
Sponsored Products
Yeh Wall Table by Menu
$129.95 | Lumens
Sterling Vista Pivot II 1505D-48S 48W x 65.5H in. Clear Glass Shower Door Multic
$610.99 | Hayneedle
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Centra 80 in. Double Vanity in Gray Oak with Glass
Home Depot
Classic Home Furniture - Shutter Sideboard In Lime Wash - 52001576
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Palais Royale Sideboard and Mirror Set in Rococo...
Great Furniture Deal
Chael 6-drawer 2-door Black Sideboard
Overstock.com
Denby Cherry Cast Iron Flower Casserole - CIC-587
$172.00 | Hayneedle
1-1/2 Inch Diameter by 2-1/8 Inch Long Stainless Steel Standoff Hardware
eModern Decor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™