2nd grouting , is this common?

kctsDecember 12, 2012

Today my contractor finished the grouting. After they left, I noticed a lot of pinholes, cracks and missing in the grout line. I asked the owner about it and he said the workers usually the 2nd grouting next day to fix those problems. From my understanding, they should do in the first grouting without problem. Do you think they do poor job? Is it ok to fix those problem just over-grouting? I hired the high rated contractor, so I now have mixed feeling. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kcts

Also, they grouted in the corners and changes of plane. They said the wedi panel is flexible, so caulking is not needed.
Is it true? Thank you.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 9:49PM
mongoct

First, if Wedi is flexible and grout is not...it sort of leads you to understand what the rest of the competent tiling world understands. That a flexible material should be used where something can be exposed to movement. So yes, it should be caulked instead of grouted.

Secondly...if their regular practices require them to always come back on Day Two to regrout...they really need to learn to grout.

So not only did they do a poor job, but sadly they know they do a poor job. It's become part of their standard practice.

Sad.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 11:26PM
kmcg

But in an imperfect world where mongo and billV are not available to do our tiling, I think a second grouting is pretty normal. It happened in my shower. My contactor's employee also grouted the corner, but I asked him to come back and caulk it. But then I learned that some of the old timers (like Jon bridges) use grout in corners. So maybe it's not the worst thing in the world.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 11:43PM
crl_

We haven't ever hired tile work done. But dh has done some in our houses and he never had to redo the grout. Now he did do a bit of tile work when he worked construction as a teenager and he is reasonably handy. But he is definitely a DIYer and not a master craftsman. So I would be skeptical of claims that it is typical to need to redo grout.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 1:54PM
terriks

I have done a fair amount of tiling, and have never had to redo the grout. I can't believe that this is normal for professionals.

I have heard that the only time to grout the change of plane in a shower is when the walls are done the "old fashioned" way with chicken wire and mud, otherwise they should be caulked.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 3:53PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

If the grout is done correctly the first time, that's all you need. Two bad groutings may not ever stick and may always be a problem.

I'd make them remove the grout and do it correctly. Yes, that's hard to do. It's easier to rip out everything and start over in a lot of cases. That's an option too.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 4:13PM
kcts

Thank you for the kind advice. Sorry for the late reply.
They insisted to cover the imperfect grout. Sadly, I was not able to ask more. Anyway, the result is not good. I decided to do re-grout by myself. I do not have any knowledge about grouting. Could you give me some advice? Thank you as always.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 6:18PM
terriks

You paid a professional for a professional job. Make them redo it. Removing grout is a PIA.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
My afterthought bathroom REVEAL
I was doing a major remodel on a guest bathroom and...
shappy22
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Sponsored Products
11'' Man Pushing Gear Wheel Figurine
$18.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Lush Border Tropics Ivory 2
Home Depot
Truffle Mashed Potatoes - LIGHT BROWN
$62.00 | Horchow
Hip Doggie Rockstar Tee - HD-2RS0-XXS
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Louis Poulsen Lighting PH 2/1 Pendant Light Fixture PH2/1-P
Alcon Lighting Supply Co