HELP! Sliding shower door question

lois_gDecember 12, 2013

Have a tiny ( super small) New York City one bathroom apartment. Because of mobility concerns, just installed a low Kohler Bellweather bathtub--top is 12" from floor. Thinking of clear sliding doors on top of tub--possibly Kohler Flaunce or Levity. But if use tub sized doors--then too low for anyone tall and do not like the look when metal top is eye level. What if I use the shower sized doors instead? Would the 10-12" clearance between the top of the doors and the ceiling be enough? Or would there be a resulting mold/spot issue?
Appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Shield would not work-- because of size and layout( tub, small vanity, toilet-- all with little space between), I would have to enter tub in order to turn on/off water

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisadlu

If you are not set on shower doors why not do a ceiling mounted shower track for a curtain? I just did one in my walk in shower and I LOVE it. Makes the shower look huge. You can have the curtain go all the way to the ceiling or use chains between the track and curtain (this is what I did). I tried to put the link below to the photo I saw initially, here is the address to the company who sells them: www.ceilingshowerrod.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 6:38PM
lois_g

Thank you but trying to figure out how to have affordable usable glass doors.
Because tub is in typical 3 sided alcove, using a regular shower rod is easy but I do not like the mold and cling issues and hoping for a way to get glass.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 6:49PM
kudzu9

I think using shower doors is a great solution, and I don't think having higher doors will increase mold issues The only two things I can think of for your further consideration are:

1. How is the bottom track installed for the doors you select? Is the track only attached to the walls at either end and siliconed on the bottom, or is it also supposed to be screwed down into what is below it (i.e., your bathtub rim)?

2. Is there an exhaust fan for the bathroom? This is important regardless of how high the doors are.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 6:52PM
blubird

Just one issue, possibly. If you buy non custom shower doors, the height of the door handles may be higher than comfortable. From my experience, having had several homes with glass shower doors, the height of the towel bar type handles is about at elbow height. If you add a shower height door on top of a tub, the handles will be considerably higher. If you're doing custom, there should be no problem getting the handles where you want them. BTW, I've never seen a bottom track on a bath/shower door drilled into, it's always siliconed to the base or tub deck.

Helene

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
My afterthought bathroom REVEAL
I was doing a major remodel on a guest bathroom and...
shappy22
tile drywall corner transition
I'm trying to figure out how to complete the corner...
mattt19
robe hook in frameless shower glass?
Does anyone have experience with robe hooks in frameless...
nellie08
Sponsored Products
Pink Chevron Curtain Panel
$29.99 | zulily
Eurofase Louvre LED 9" Oil Rubbed Bronze Picture Light
Euro Style Lighting
Louis Poulsen | Snow Floor Lamp
YLighting
Sunny Safari Toy Chest
Classic Hostess
AICO Furniture - Tuscano 11 Piece Rectangular Dining Table Set in...
Great Furniture Deal
Versaille Dove Grey Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Ventana Elephantine Table Lamp - 0472DT
$250.70 | Hayneedle
20-inch Freestanding Gate - 40"-70"W Dog Gate
$129.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™