Timing of Building New Construction and Creating Landscape

chuehSeptember 26, 2011

Would you tell me what is the procedure and timing when you build a new home and creating a landscape with some hardscape at the same time?

Do you build the foundation while working on landscape/hardscape at the same, since both require concrete and gravel (either exposed or paving for landscape)?

If not, at what stage of building the house would you start hardscape/landscape?

Are they both done by the same subcontractors or separate, disregarding what has to be done?

I am not conducting anything, but I am trying to get an idea if I should have them all done at once, or can have the landscape done later considering budget.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david_cary

Landscaping is usually done at the very end because of the need to water new landscaping, it would get destroyed by the work of building and its cost.

Hardscape is often planned and done by the same people so it is also done at the end (and it also can get destroyed and it also has the same cost issue).

We start here as late as possible to be done at the same time at the rest of the house. So after light fixtures but maybe before appliances. But that is only because the landscape contractors are so unreliable that you don't want to wait until the very last minute.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 4:39AM
musings

We planned all at once, and included landscaping and hardscaping in the budget. Landscaping is an allowance in our budget (to be done by our landscape contractor at the very end) and the hardscaping was bid/included by the builder.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 9:58AM
chueh

Thank you for the replies. They help

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 10:41AM
SpringtimeHomes

I recommend you go with David approach unless you have a very simple lot to grade and the utilities are in place.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 11:02AM
musings

Clarification: We planned (as in designed) all at once so that we had a landscape/hardscape plan before we ordered our drainage plan. Installation at end.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 11:50AM
michoumonster

we had to have our landscaping plan done with our house plans to get city approval. we will have the landscaping done at the end, probably after grading.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 1:57AM
More Discussions
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
New Build Floorplan, timberframe house, input appreciated
So I’m yet another person looking for input on a floorplan....
am_e
Window/door trim thickness---not width
Time to specify our interior trimwork. I'm stymied...
pinktoes
Protecting hardie from splash up?
Our builder is wanting us to add a few layers of brick...
akaypick
Need Advice On What To Do Next
My wife and I have our hand drawn plans of our home....
ghjtyubnm
Sponsored Products
Fleur-de-Lis Door Panel Wall Décor
$149.99 | zulily
Expanding Times Mementos Display
| Dot & Bo
Fleming Settee - BLUE
$1,399.00 | Horchow
Bay View 20" High Rubbed Bronze Outdoor Pocket Light
Lamps Plus
Carlisle Pendant by Hudson Valley Lighting
$856.00 | Lumens