?-cleaning the water marks left by steam

callie8799December 29, 2012

this is a bit off topic-in the sense that this is not about a remodel, but on topic that this deals with bathrooms....

any suggestions on how to wipe off or even blend the water streaking marks left on the walls when dh doesn't use the vent when taking his "hour showers"? I do have bathroom paint up there (Benjamin Moore) so it is wipeable, but I haven't been able to keep up with it so now it's bad.

what can I use to make the marks "go away" or less noticeable? or what do you use?

thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

Sometimes water marks from steam can indicate a slight re-emulsification of the paint. If that's what the marks are from, the only real way to get rid of the marks is to repaint.

If you're using a glossy bathroom paint, and it sounds like you have, that's your best bet.

If you have a shower light switch and a shower fan switch, you could pigtail the wires together on to one switch, or add some other automation feature (motion or humidity) to the fan (motion or humidity).

Or hide the remote to the television until he learns to flip the fan switch.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 11:03AM
bethpen

I've had some success using a little vinegar and water and wiping the walls. It is SO annoying..both kids using our newly renovated bathroom and it looks awful already. We did a lot of work to the fan to help, but it wasn't enough.

Beth P.

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 6:05AM
lazy_gardens

any suggestions on how to wipe off or even blend the water streaking marks left on the walls when dh doesn't use the vent when taking his "hour showers"?

Change the bathroom vent fan for one that automatically turns on when the humidity goes up. :)

That will solve the problem, and maybe end the marriage

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 4:00PM
diy_gal

I spray it with 409 cleaner and wipe it with a cloth. Works great for me. Can't even tell there used to be water marks.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 10:39PM
dianne47

Another idea would be replace the bathroom vent fan switch with one that's a timer. Leave switch set to 60 minutes after taking shower.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 5:57PM
Fori is not pleased

How about having the light go out after 20 minutes? ;P

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Quality Pocket Door Frames?
(Please accept my apology for the duplicate post -...
ahmnj
No door to bathroom
We are picking our interior doors out tomorrow. I like...
holcombe3
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Lowe's master bath estimate....seems high?
Due to a 3-year old poor tile job in our stand up shower...
A McK
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™