Opinion of 2nd Story

new2buildSeptember 20, 2013

We are a family of 3, possibly 4 in the future and are in the process of finalizing our house plan. Attached is the 2nd floor and we are having difficulty deciding if we need 2 bathrooms on this level. We are keeping the loft area and will have access to a bathroom from that area as well as providing access to a future bonus room above garage. The loft area can easily be converted to an additional bedroom if needed. What are your opinions? Look forward to your responses.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LuAnn_in_PA

If the loft area IS converted to a BR, it has no access to a bathroom as drawn.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 8:01AM
new2build

Thank you Luann in PA, we have planned to change the plan to have access to a bathroom from the loft, we were thinking of flipping the bedroom (as you come up the stairs- on the left side of the plan) to the back of the home and the bathroom to the front and having access to both the bedroom and the loft, any thoughts on this change? Do you see a better way to create access to a bathroom? I would love to hear thoughts about that change. Thanks again for your feedback.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 8:33AM
virgilcarter

Actually, this plan is not a very good one--it's very inefficient and will be hard to use. Having private baths in each bedroom may be fine for adolescents or adults using the second floor. The "loft" area between the two bedrooms is all circulation space. Do you want small children playing unattended up there with a railing and open space to the floor below? And if you do improve the space over the garage, how will it be accessed and where is the nearest bath? Seems like to access it, you will need to remove the partition and door to the existing bedroom, making that space more circulations space. I think you can do better than this. Just some comments.

Good luck with your project!

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
Dark hardwood vs lighter hardwood floors
I'm trying to decide which type of floors we should...
houserookie
Floorplan review please
I would love to get feedback on this floor plan. The...
boonieshome
Banquette seating by Ballard /Coventry line
Has anyone purchased banquette seating through this...
mrspete
Sending my floor plan modifications to the architect. Ideas?
I have to have all my structural changes decided by...
houserookie
It's February 2015- How is your build going?
January was a surprisingly active month! I admire all...
mushcreek
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™