Pedestal vs. Cabinet Vanity in Full Bathroom?

pbx2_gwDecember 3, 2012

What are people's feelings about using a pedestal sink vs. a cabinet style vanity in a full bathroom?

Would like your feedback as we have some secondary bathrooms (guests/kids) that we would like to save money on & put pedestals sinks in there vs. having cabinetry.

Storage isn't a concern as we have plenty of build-in shelving's & closets around these areas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terriks

I like to have plenty of counter space, so pedestals wouldn't work for me, except in a powder room.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 7:23PM
igloochic

I'm a bit of an expert on this LOL I bought a bed and breakfast and it is now a house. We have 13 bathrooms and two have cabinets for the sinks...the rest have pedestals.

The pedestals look pretty but are pretty much useless even for guests. The best one we have is a large basin with a wonderfully large surround but it goes for about ten grand retail so it's no savings.

I have asked my guests what they prefer. If you have a pedestal you have to have shelving for even a casual user to put their things on. Bathroom things are not always pretty...things like soap, razors, a washcloth, etc. Deodorant, mouthwash and toothpaste....all will be prominently displayed if you have just a pedestal.

We are moving the beautiful pedestal to the powder room on the main floor because no one stays in there. The balance will be donated because they are a pain. We need to keep a victorian feel so we'll have some pedestal types, but they will have nice large marble surrounds and other cabinets in the room.

People don't like to have to put their tooth brush in a cabinet...it's just not enough efficient storage for someone to use. Yes they're cheap...but not worth a buck IMO!

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 8:01PM
Gina_W

I just tore out two and called Habitat for Humanity to come get them. Hate them. Even if storage isn't a problem for you, what about water splashing out and/or dripping down? And the afore-mentioned "stuff" issues - everyone needs toothbrushes, toothpaste, hair brushes, soaps, lotions, etc. It is not convenient for anyone.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 10:48PM
VictoriaElizabeth

I prefer the look of a sink without cabinetry, so we chose a console sink. It gives you more counter space than most pedestals... but, still not as much as a really long cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Bathroom

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 3:38PM
kmcg

I really like having a counter, so if you don't need pedestal sinks for a certain look, I'd recommend a vanity cabinet. They don't have to be expensive - especially if you can find an all-inclusive one at big box stores or on Amazon or overstock.com.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 5:54PM
pbx2_gw

VictoriaElizabeth (My Page) on Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 15:38
I prefer the look of a sink without cabinetry, so we chose a console sink. It gives you more counter space than most pedestals... but, still not as much as a really long cabinet.

Have always admired your style & work!
Thank you for the feedback (& every1 else too).

I think, getting a pedestal or console such as yours with more area surrounding the basin opening would alleviate some water splashing & storage concerns for me.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
Want to share a recent experience
I've never posted on this forum before, but I've been...
laceyvail
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™