Having to Retype the WEP Key

elksOctober 31, 2011

My daughter wanted to load pictures onto a second computer we have that only has one working USB input. She unplugged the Wireless USB adaptor without disconnecting from the network, and now every time we turn on the computer, we have to right click on the LAN Card Status, Launch Config Utilities, click on the correct service and enter the WEP Key. I do not know how to save the Key number. I almost have the 26 number key memorized. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zep516

Selecting the desired connection should offer two options,
"connect" and "connect automatically" - selecting "connect automatically"

See if that helps for starters.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 7:47AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

might help to power down everything and start over from scratch so it is all done at one time. Power off all the computers, then unplug power from the router and modem. Wait about 5 mins then power up first the modem, wait, then the router, wait till all lit, then the computers. Enter the info if asked and make sure it is as zep mentioned. Some I have seen do ask if if you want to remember that network say yes if you see that.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 1:37PM
elks

Thanks for the suggestions.
While I was waiting for this computer to fire up, and was playing with the one in trouble, I right clicked on the LAN Card Status again and was given another option. It's gone now again, but was something like start Microsoft Configuration Utility, so I did, entered the key twice, okayed it, and voila! connection and connection automatic when I rebooted. I'm sure if you hadn't suggested things, I would never have found the solution, and now I have other things I can try next time.
Steve

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 3:58PM
zep516

Maybe it was this,
Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC), also known as Wireless Auto Configuration, or WLAN AutoConfig is a wireless connection management utility included with Microsoft Windows XP and later operating systems as a service that dynamically selects a wireless network to connect to based on a user's preferences and various default settings.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 5:02PM
elks

It was wonderful once I found it. Thanks again. S

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Google Stylish add-on help
I have Google Stylish add-on but don't know how to...
Cricketm
Linkedin - Friend's Attempt to Subscribe me to it.
I know nothing of social media outfits and don't want...
mxyplux
OK, turned my back, and the kids are playing with
backgrounds, and making the viewing easier on the eyes....
shaddy101
Win 8 network settings
I need to export my network settings to a flash drive...
carolssis
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™