heated marble vs heated tile floors

KateB22December 16, 2013

Building a new house. Will have radiant floor heating. In master bath I am deciding between white marble ( I guess marble tile) and regular ( porcelain?) tiles. Any thoughts on this? I am just beginning to look at this so don't even have a price point comparison yet.
As for comfortand beauty- which are better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

It makes no difference to the heating cables if the top surface is natural stone or tile. Either will conduct the heat properly if the substrate is handled correctly.

The biggest difference won't be in heating. It will be in wear and tear and cleaning. Porcelain holds a commanding lead for ease of maintenance and durability. Natural stone is beautiful, and some people are OK with the potential for damage and certainty for higher maintenance that comes with it. Some people prefer the beauty of easy care home surfaces. You have to get samples and subject them to simulated life wear and tear and decide if you can live with how they hold up.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 5:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shanghaimom

I did one remodel with Carrera marble mosaic floors. I'm the only female in our house. I now know that urine splashes etch. Not a really big deal or super noticeable, but it does etch. Adequate "tapping" is a must!! I get irritated when I'm cleaning around the toilets and see all the etch marks.

Next remodel, I used slate-look porcelain tile. Both floors are heated--no difference between the two with that. Porcelain is the hands-down winner for maintenance.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
Bathroom
Walls are blue with red and royal blue towels white...
bobbyfly1
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Vanities on opposite walls -- how much width?
Hey all. We are trying to design a long and narrow...
jenmendel23
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™