walk-in shower seat hump removal

redawg77December 21, 2011

My wife and I just bought a '83 home. The master bathroom has a walk-in, one-piece fiberglass shower with a molded seat that takes up half of the shower stall, leaving me with precious little space when I shower. We eventually plan on doing a full remodel, but in the meantime I would be interested in removing some, if not all, of the seat. I imagine I could remove it easily enough with some sort of small rotary saw/tool. Obviously it's not going to look great, but temporary functionality (space) is what I'm after here. We'll make it look nice 5+ years down the road when we remodel and change the entire unit out.

Does this sound reasonable? Has anyone here attempted this type of modification before? How would I go about sealing/supporting the void so that the liner can still support my weight, is watertight, and does not harbor mildew/mold.

Thanks!

-Will

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

From what I know you cannot, if you remove the seat you will have a big hole as the unit is a "walk-in, one-piece fiberglass shower with a molded seat"

Bookmark   December 22, 2011 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
Replacement parts for Restoration Hardware Pivot Mirror
Hi All, I have a 24x30 rectangular pivot restoration...
isb182
Experience with Enduroshield
Anybody have specific experience or feedback on the...
gardnr
40" for double vanity, any suggestions?
Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a...
rickyk22
Show me pictures of your tile 'rug'
We'd like to do this and are looking for design ideas....
kate38
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™