Master Bath & Closets help please

still_watersSeptember 7, 2012

Please look at the Master Bath & Closet configuration. I am not really happy with:

1) Big double window toward the street where the tub is. I would need to have a mechanical transom to be able to open the front windows for cross-ventilation. Who wants to stand in the tub to open the windows?

2) I wanted to have a glassed-in shower but since the exterior walls are ICF, the shower fixtures will need to be in the wall between the tub and shower--no glass walls.

3) I want a laundry hamper--triple sized but it needs a home.

4) A space for linens: I have thought about having a 12" cabinet flanking each vanity along the wall.

My requirements are:

1) I want the closet off the bedroom or hall, not off the bathroom to keep moisture out.

2) Future handicap adaptable: 4 ft hallway and 5ft turning radius in bathroom.

3) Separate vanities:dh likes his things out on the counter; I don't.

4) Separate closets--he has shoes and clothes. I am content with a 3 ft x 6 ft walk-in. For him, the bigger the better!

Details of the house: Lake view toward the back. Walkout basement in the back. I have shown this plan before�issue was with the powder room. That area has been reconfigured due to the elevator rough-in being too small.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

It appears to me you have plenty of space in the toilet area of the master bathroom. Could you build a false wall on the right end of the shower to house your plumbing and slide everything to the left?
(symmetry might be an issue, but you could also slide the door to the left. His vanity can be smaller/bigger than hers or have the same size but only one has a linen tower next to it...)

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 7:33PM
andi_k

Our set up is very similar, only we have a powder room bn foyer/master and a laundry closet in the master bath area. Maybe this gives you some ideas?

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 6:50AM
still_waters

kirk: The plumbing can go in the ICF wall. The issue is having an access to the shower guts in case there is a leak or need for changing something out in the future.

Andi: I notice that your shower is tempered glass between the tub and shower. It looks like your plumbing is also in that same wall. What is your plumbing? Or is that a wall between them? I'd like glass between mine. Will you be able to open your windows?

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 2:45PM
turtleshope

Look at the posting "Southerland by Don Gardner" for another arrangement of the bathroom that might suit you. There is a floor plan there.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 3:44PM
andi_k

Hi still waters -
There is no glass/window on the wall bn the shower/tub. I am able to open the window at the tub but the window in the shower is not one that opens. It's up high to just get natural light in. Let me know if you need anything else!

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Front Entry door
I am totally out of my comfort zone on the one! We...
3ilovepie
It's February 2015- How is your build going?
January was a surprisingly active month! I admire all...
mushcreek
Are these doors acceptable to you?
These are walnut interior doors. I understand that...
pumpkinhouse
Banquette seating by Ballard /Coventry line
Has anyone purchased banquette seating through this...
mrspete
Would you trust a builder to create a blueprint from your own sketch?
We have heard of people building custom without using...
liv2tell
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™