cutting silestone

misstheatreDecember 28, 2007

Has anyone ordered a slab of silestone from e-counters.com? I have a vessel sink I'd like to use with silestone counter on the vanity but I'm unsure if I could cut my own hole. If so, would I need any special type of holesaw?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saskatchewan_girl

Email them directly, they answered lots of questions for me. From what I've asked I think you need a qualified installer with special tools to do the job. You can also just phone a few installers to ask a few questions too.
HTH

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 2:52PM
aliceinwonderland_id

You need a saw capable of cutting stone, usually a wet saw. You may be able to find a diamond blade hole saw and run water over the area you are cutting, but likely it will be easier to hire a stone shop to cut it for you.

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 6:28PM
aliceinwonderland_id

Where is my head? I can't believe forgot -- I cut a 1 1/2" hole in my Silestone tile countertop to install a faucet. I used a hole saw I purchased in the tile section at Home Dept and made sure there was always a small pool of water where I was cutting. It took a long time, but made a nice, clean hole. My tiles are thinner than your countertop, only about 5/8" thick, so it will take more time, but it is definitely doable. Sorry about the first bonehead answer I gave. Maybe my brain is trying to block out my kitchen remodel to prevent further trauma.

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 6:36PM
misstheatre

Thanks aliceinwonderland. I'm thinking if I can find a place to do this that will do a small piece of silestone then I will have them do it. My problem is that anywhere I go, they have a minimum square footage which is way more than I need. Hmmmmmm you have given me some hope.

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
Marble bathroom question?
I am a lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from...
sokool1
Seeking Skirted Toilet with Good "Water Spot"
I am replacing an old toilet that was one of the early-generation...
sahmmy_gw
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Does anyone know where to sell a brand new vanity
looking to sell locally only and tried craigslist this...
matdrew
Uberhaus Shower Column
Hello, I am looking for any feedback anyone can lend...
johnmaks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™