Repair or replace next time?

kokomo61October 26, 2013

Posted already in the 'buy next time' thread....but here's a question for the group.

I have a Kenmore Elite 13183 dishwasher - stainless steel all around, hidden touch controls, but reliability and wear have been an issue. I've had to replace a number of items, including:

Door switch
Hi-temp fuse
Soap dispenser
Drain pump

And the racks have been the most fragile I've ever seen. I've lost a number of the vertical tines from breakage, the top rack has frayed edges at the front and is showing signs of rusting out, etc.

I've had a number of problems with not draining. While the Cancel/Drain cycle works fine, many cycles end with standing water in the bottom. I've checked all the hoses for blockages, and none were severe beyond normal food gunk. I've ran several cycles with baking soda / vinegar, replaced the drain pump, and it seems to be working better.....but since this is the 2nd time it's been backed up, I might be putting a DNR tag on it for the next repair.

Anyone with this dishwasher or similar issues have any advice on how to keep it working longer (about 6-7 years old), or to plan for its replacement? If replacing, what would you replace it with?

Thanks in advance....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xedos

That DW is in it's golden years, it's not designed to last 20+ years.

New:

Bosch, Miele, Asko, Thermador or Gaggenau

Going to coat roughly twice what that Kenmore was before you started buying extra parts for it.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 9:10AM
xedos

That DW is in it's golden years, it's not designed to last 20+ years.

New:

Bosch, Miele, Asko, Thermador or Gaggenau

Going to cost roughly twice what that Kenmore was before you started buying extra parts for it.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 9:11AM
kokomo61

I checked the MFG date on the dishwasher - built in November 2008, installed probably in Dec/Jan of 2008-9, so it's barely 5 years old. I'd expect it to be about 1/2 way through its lifespan, not ready to be sent to the junkyard.

At the end of the day, I need a dishwasher to do one thing. Keep me from having to wash dishes by hand. I'm frustrated that as I spend more on the initial dishwasher, the repair frequency has gone up, and lifespan has gone down. This dishwasher cost $800 new on sale. I can't see spending $1K+ for a dishwasher that's even less reliable and holds fewer dishes.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Sealed vs Open Gas Burners
What's the difference between sealed gas burners and...
cbarkston
need help - with Miele DW and Ikea Sektion panel
Hi All, Getting a Sektion kitchen. I want a Miele...
Kathy Rohde
Bread baking in the Blue Star Range
We are in the process of building a new home and though...
mullde
54" Zephyr Monsoon II vs. Best by Broan 54" Potenza - Clear Winner??
GW, Ahhh - my favorite place to be the past 12 months...
Andrew K.
capital precision mcr304 vs. wolf gr304?
Anyone have thoughts on these two? Also looked at GE...
mweyandt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™