tiled shower floor- bad idea in cold weather states?

illinigirlDecember 16, 2013

we are having our tile floors in the general part of the bathroom heated....but what about the tile in the shower? Is that unbearably cold in winter months or does the hot water from the shower warm it up?

if tile is a bad idea on the shower floor, what's the alternative (walls will still be tiled)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

Kohler makes tubs with a heated surface (Bask) but not shower pans. The water generally heats the shower floor up, there isn't really an alternative that I am aware of.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 2:57PM
palimpsest

I just looked up "heated shower floor" and apparently this is possible although I do not know if all locales would allow this.

Here is a link that might be useful: heated shower floor

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 3:00PM
mongoct

I've installed RFH under a tiled shower, but I think it's unnecessary unless it's whole-house hydronic RFH.

As you wrote, the shower water will warm the floor tile before you ever step in.

It's also one of the reasons I generally don't recommend tiled in benches in showers. Moveable wood stools or benches are much more practical with regards to space management. Thermally, wood is more friendly than tile. And overall, wood is more comfortable to sit on than tile.

Just my opinion(s).

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 3:21PM
kirkhall

It isn't needed. Usually, I turn on the water before I get in the shower. The water gets warm and so does the floor. :)

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 1:10AM
Babka NorCal 9b

The hot water from the shower will heat the floor no matter where you live.

-Babka

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 2:01AM
elphaba_gw

If you use the radiant floor heat as an alternative to a wall heater, the extra square footage is nice. Our climate isn't very cold but it is nice to have the chill removed by the floor when you step in the door to the room, not just the shower door. We have the whole floor done in radiant heat. Not a big deal to add the extra square footage.

We have central heat but our house is a pier and beam foundation, built in 1935 so we still have some draftiness on cold windy days/nights. This floor heat provides a nice little addition in a room that tends to have a higher chill factor because of the tile if there is cold weather outside.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 2:10AM
sochi

I have removable ipe decking over tile (on rubber feet) in my master bath, always feels warm and comfortable, even areas not warmed by water. Far more comfortable to stand on than tile. It was a relatively easy diy project, looks great too. Does add an extra cleaning step though, as you have to remove decking to clean tile. Adds about five minutes every week or two.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Please can you help with bath vanity design issue?
My original bath layout has changed somewhat, due to...
happyallison
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™