Raise vanity height

lisadluDecember 12, 2013

I would like to raise the height on my bathroom vanities but can't afford new vanities. But we are going to get new counters for them so I'm wondering if anyone has used some creative ways to raise their vanity height that didn't look odd?
Also, if we don get new vanities down the road can the counters be removed without damage to reuse? (will be quartz or granite). Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ineffablespace

Build higher toe kicks. The standard is +/-4" and you could make taller ones or build a base the same dimensions as the toe kick length and width and set the entire thing on it, and trim it out with baseboard.

You could even raise it up with a couple pieces of 2x4 and cover the gap with baseboard

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 2:59PM
sjhockeyfan325

You could also get thicker countertops (I've seen some quartz counters that are 4" thick). Go to houzz.com and type in +counter +thick to see pictures.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 3:26PM
likewhatyoudo

At my last house we did some updating including new granite counter tops and undermount sinks in all 4 bathrooms. We put a piece of 1 x 3 oak on top of the oak vanity frame and simply placed the granite on top of that. I had stained and or painted the vanities also and with the additional piece of wood painted the same color it was not noticeable. This increased the height by 3 inches and with the 1 1/2 inch granite a total of 4 1/2" higher. It really did look great and not at all noticeable unless I guess you are a paying close attention to under the counter space.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 4:20PM
lisadlu

Thanks for the suggestions. This is my next project after Christmas. :)

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™