Size of niche and a million other questions

drewemDecember 17, 2012

Hello. We are building, and the project manager who was creating our shower niches and bench was let go. I was not given the chance to meet with him about our project, and did not know of his dismissal.

Now the new manager wants to meet to discuss the bathroom. I haven't thought of the sizes,(the original manager had experience building his own niches, and I was leaving it up to his judgement, with my input). Oh, and they want to meet on Wednesday.

I don't know if the new manager has any experience with niches, and want to be prepared.

What should I be looking for in a niche?
Is there a good size?
What type of material do I want for the bottom of it? Should the bottom extend out?
What kind of waterproofing should I ask for?

They are creating a bench, a pony wall will house the niches (2), and then there will be glass on top of the wall.

How high off the tub deck should the wall go up to?

I didn't want a full wall, it would have been too dark and enclosed feeling. Yes, we will have a light in the shower.

They are not willing under any circumstances to put the niches in the wall with the shower head, and this was the only way the (national) builder would work with me.

Any help, words of advice, will be appreciated! I've asked about niches before, and you all were so helpful, and provided wonderful pictures! Thank you again!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gina_W

What should I be looking for in a niche?

That it be big enough for your personal needs - do you use Costco-size shampoo bottles? How many items do you typically have in the shower?

Is there a good size?

See above.

What type of material do I want for the bottom of it?

It can be the same tile as the rest of your shower wall, it can be its own tile design, it can have a large piece of tile, granite slab or thick glass piece at the botton or as shelves.

Should the bottom extend out?
Up to you. I'm doing mine in the pony wall above a bench as well.

What kind of waterproofing should I ask for?

The same as the rest of your shower walls.

They are creating a bench, a pony wall will house the niches (2), and then there will be glass on top of the wall.

How high off the tub deck should the wall go up to?

If this is a shower/bathtub combo, tile up to the ceiling.
If you are talking about the pony wall - that's up to the overall design of your room. I am making my shower pony wall the height of my cabinet plus the 4" backsplash, which I am "wrapping around" the entire room. So think design and accessibility.

They are not willing under any circumstances to put the niches in the wall with the shower head, and this was the only way the (national) builder would work with me.

The wall with the shower head has plumbing in it - depending on your shower configuration it can get quite crowded in there! So there may be no room for a niche.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 5:44PM
drewem

Thank you Gina!

No, it is not a shower/bathtub combo. It is a corner tub, and then the shower is next to it. We are creating a small wall on the tub deck, that will have the niches in it, and then the frameless clear glass goes on top. The shower area will be tiled to the ceiling.

Our tile is 10x13, marble look alike. I could do the niches as one piece of tile, so there aren't any grout lines on the back wall of the niche.

How deep?

The shower head wall is exterior, and it had an issue with insulation.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 10:06AM
drewem

Gina, would you happen to have a picture you can post of your pony wall with niche?

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 5:58PM
Gina_W

They are generally about 4" deep untiled - the width of a 2 by 4.

The one I am currently building is going into the pony wall and will be a good 20" wide. Probably 18" all tiled. But they are generally not that wide. I have a lot of stuff and I buy big bottles!

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 6:04PM
sparklebread

tiled today- two pics - not yet grouted, but might give you an idea of finished size

This post was edited by sparklebread on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 15:49

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 8:11PM
sparklebread

pic 2

This post was edited by sparklebread on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 15:50

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 8:13PM
Gina_W

Just saw your request for picture - mine is in the framing stage but I could take a pic - I see your other post so you probably have made decisions. I am not home now to take the pic.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Anyone seen Hydroban board for sale?
Can't seem to find it anywhere. Can't tell if that's...
cataan
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
robe hook in frameless shower glass?
Does anyone have experience with robe hooks in frameless...
nellie08
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™