Cleaning Products

lisadluDecember 10, 2013

Hello - I have just installed marble pebble tile and LOVE it! I have two questions on maintenance. Will bleach erode grout over time? What gentle product do you use to clean natural stone/marble? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_mom

I use 7th Generation Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner (spray) in our bathrooms (White Thassos marble niche walls and shelves in all three, and border tile in our MB). I had called 7th gen when I was looking for a natural stone-safe disinfecting bathroom cleaner (it's safe on SEALED natural stone according to them, but as always, a good idea to test in as inconspicuous an area as possible)). I spray it on, let sit ~10 min, and then spray some more on the tile/walls and/or my microfiber cloth, and then wipe all around and wipe dry with the cloth. No need to rinse.

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 2:23PM
StoneTech

Always use a PH Neutral cleaner.....

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 2:55PM
lisadlu

Can anyone tell me if 7th Generation is a PH Neutral cleaner? If not, is there one you can recommend that is readily available? Thanks!

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 6:43PM
cat_mom

I don't remember for sure, sorry, but they did tell me the disinfecting bathroom cleaner was safe for sealed stone. The disinfecting wipes, too. Never asked about their other products.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 10:41PM
gabbythecat

I googled 7th Generation; the company web site doesn't seem to comment about whether their stone cleaner is ph neutral, but the web is loaded with statements that it IS neutral. So it should be okay. It sounds like a good cleaner/disinfectant. I'll have to give it a try on our granite counters.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 3:49PM
cat_mom

On our granite counters, I use alcohol-water spray that I mix up in a spray bottle, with some essential lavender oil added to the mixture ~30-50% alcohol to ~50-70% water (lavender; 20+ drops--I go by smell). According to an EPA dr with whom I'd spoken, as little as 10% alcohol in the spray bottle has anti-bacterial properties, and lavender is naturally anti-bacterial as well.

I spray it on, and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth. Streak-free shine.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 1:31AM
More Discussions
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
recommend sink for combo powder/bath
am planning combo laundry/half bath. side by side washer...
elleninmaine
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™