Ziporion's package arrives-delivered in the snow!

RuddMDFebruary 18, 2006

Traveling from cold and snowy Yukon, Canada to the sunny south! How ironic my swap package came this morning while it is snowing to beat the band! Don't you know the mail man pulled up with a package in this nasty weather. I go outside to get it and he first makes me wait because he can't find his pen. It had fallen to the floor. He recovers the pen, drops it, hands it to me to sign. I sign and goes to scan the bar code, well his bar code scanner doesn't work. All the while I'm standing outside, without a coat in rain mixed with snow.

But it was all well worth it!

Catherine - aka Ziporion - researched me well. She knew my favorite color is red.

This is what was included:

A wonderful card with a nice note inside. This is Catherine's first swap and she said she was nervous about it. No need to worry - everything arrived in one piece and you did a wonderful job.

These are the goodies Catherine picked out for me:

1. Some wonderful literature about her area. I look forward to sitting down tonight and learning more about where she lives.

2. A beautiful cookbook of finger foods - bite-size food for cocktail parties. This looks really interesting. DH and I like to entertain. I look forward to curling up on the couch with this tonight and planning our next get together. Or better yet, maybe I'll take this to the tub tonight, like Chase and read while I soak. lol. I'll have to include a glass of wine in that scenario. . . .

3. Some lovely red and green cocktail napkins. These are beautiful. I know I will enjoy using them.

4. A RED Kitchenaid basting brush. This matches my red Kitchenaid mixer. I'll store this in my utensil holder on the counter so it can be seen. And I did not have one of these.

5. Organic coffee beans. This I will really enjoy. I love good coffee and this is going to give me an excuse to go buy a coffee grinder. There will be one in my house before morning. lol. Before the mailman arrived, I was getting ready to head out the door to go to the outlets to buy a new bra. How convenient a kitchen supply store is right besides the Hanes outlet. :)

6. Last, but not least is a big bottle of organic maple syrup. I love maple syrup and will find many uses for this.

It's starting to snow really hard now. I believe a little bit of Yukon weather jumped out of the box. A box from Canada arriving on a snowy day in the south is something I'll always remember.

Catherine - thank you so much for the goodies. These are truly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

Ohhhh...what a nice package Catharine put together for you, Doris.

You did very well, Catharine, for your first swap.
Teresa

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 12:52PM
doucanoe

How nice that Catherine included a newspaper from her area! I got the "Finger Food" book in a past swap and love it! Have tried several of the recipes in it and so far all great!

Beautiful package, Doris, I know you will enjoy it for a long time!

Linda

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 1:29PM
granjan

A newspaper from the Youkon sounds like fun! And the other things are great. Beautiful brush although I hide all red things in my kitchen. LOL

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 1:38PM
shaun

Great job!! Enjoy your bath Doris!!

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 2:52PM
momto4kids

Doris...a great swap package to receive! Enjoy!

Terrific job Catherine!

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 2:56PM
robinkateb

A great swap package that literally brought a pice of the area with it. So Doris how is the snow? Personally here in Vermont we have not received any this winter.

That book looks like fun for your parties. What grade is the maple syrup? We love maple syrup here. I use it in marinades, salad dressing, bread, glazes... oh yeah, we put it on pancakes as well.

-Robin

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 3:00PM
RuddMD

The snow is wet, cold and not sticking. . . . . I guess the 70 degree weather two days ago warmed the ground too much.

Maple syrup has grades? Who knew? This says Canada No 2 Amber. "Harvested towards the end of the season. This grade features a higher mineral content and a stronger maple flavor."

I have a new coffee grinder ready to go in the morning. I'm looking forward to my first homemade ground pot of coffee.

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 3:24PM
robinkateb

Hmm, sounds like Canada has a different grading system then the US. I would guess that would be a Grade A dark Amber, or maybe Maybe Medium Amber, here. The darker the more pronounced maple flavor. I never knew about the grades until I moved to VT. Most places in the country you can only get a single grade as large producers just combine all their syrup and sell one grade.

The March issue of Gourmet has a whole section on maple syrup recipes.

-Robin

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 3:44PM
debbie814

Unlike Granjan, I display all my red items! Love the color, and love your package. Great job.

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 4:38PM
deanna1949

Great package!! You can fix yourself some pancakes to have with your syrup, a nice cup of fresh-ground coffee, and read the paper. Just put your feet up and relax! Simply lovely.

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 7:07PM
catlover

Love it. Awesome package! Adele

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 7:11PM
sheshebop

I also love all red things for my kitchen. What a wonderful swap package. I too think the finger foods book sounds great. Nice job Catherine. Lucky you Doris.

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 7:30PM
ziporion

Doris, I'm so glad the package got there in one piece! Although I wrapped the syrup fairly well, you just never know how it's going to fare being jostled around the country! Just looking at the top part of it, it looks like it got a bit of a shake in the process of being sent.

I'm glad you like everything... I did research you a bit (the thread that asked us to tell a bit about our likes on the swap link really helped).

Now I can breathe a sigh of relief!

Hope you enjoy!
Catherine

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 8:00PM
craftyrn

Catherine--you did a great job on your first swap ! Doris--you're in for a treat with that maple syrup ( & all the rest ).
Diane

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 11:46PM
kent4489

Doris, everything sounds wonderful!

Catherine, yes, you did a great job on your first swap.

Jayne

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 12:01AM
ann_t

Nicely done Catherine. You really did do a wonderful job putting together a great gift from Canada for Doris.

Ann

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 1:21PM
homesforsale

Well done..It's so nice to see what everyone comes up with!

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 4:26PM
chase_gw

Great job Catherine, a very, very nice selection! Doris you're going to love that maple syrup!

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 8:48AM
RuddMD

Mmmmm - pancakes yesterday morning with a cup of fresh ground coffee. The maple syrup was delicious!

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 10:25AM
annie1992

Wow, Catherine, I want to know how you got that snow in there, now that's quite a trick!!

Yum, maple syrup. I love it, in fact I'm sitting here with a slice of toast made from maple oatmeal bread. I agree with RobinKate, it sounds like maybe a medium amber. I like the darker syrups best, they have the most maple flavor.

Breakfast sounds wonderful, Doris, coffee and maple syrup on pancakes, while reading the Yukon paper.

Annie

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 12:03PM
alison

Great job, Catherine! And how neat that a little bit of the Yukon arrived in the box -- along with all the accoutrments to enjoy a snowy morning when you can just hang around the house and read the paper. Anybody's paper!
I'm sure you'll enjoy them all, Doris!

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 2:48PM
Gina_W

Yummy stuff for you Doris, and I love that finger foods book. Good one Catherine.

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 6:03PM
ziporion

This exchange is so much fun! I just love coming to the website to see what's changed or new! Thanks for all the good words too, I'm no longer anxious about exchanges with you folks cheering everyone on. Can't wait to see what happens next...

Catherine

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 8:20PM
traceys

Catherine could you send me some snow too?

Great package you put together. I love the Yukon News you included. The cookbook looks like something I would definitely like.

Doris enjoy your treats.

Tracey

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 9:17PM
ziporion

Tracey, I'd love to send you some snow but we hardly have any ourselves. Our annual dog sled race, the Yukon Quest, left from Fairbanks (AK) enroute to Whitehorse (YK), but this year because of the small amount of snow we've had, they've had to turn back and finish the race at Dawson City (about 7 hours northwest of here). Our local skiers are crying for it too! Still, I'm looking forward to a little spring!

Catherine

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 10:05PM
dlundin

Nice package! Would love to try that maple syrup.

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 12:12AM
stacy3

ooh, I'd love to get a peek at that cookbook! What a great package Catherine!

Stacy

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 11:09AM
terri_pacnw

Very nice package Catherine! I too was a "newbie" at a Cooking forum swap. It was nerve racking, I'll give you that. (I've done many a swap over my years on the internet, and even craft swaps that I had to make 13 items, but this was HARD!)
But it was fun to find posts, old and new on Mustangs, and read about her.

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 11:34AM
jessyf

I"m going to check out that book. Always looking for new appetizers. yummers. That pastry brush rocks, I have one pretty similar!

Bookmark   February 24, 2006 at 12:37PM
lsr2002

I'm still trying to catch up on what was received while I was gone.

Maple syrup from Canada is wonderful. I can say from first hand knowledge now that FingerFood is great food! It's on my desk too, for frequent browsing until I have time to make a small plate feast.

Great job Catherine, aren't swaps fun!

Lee

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 11:50PM
riverrat1

Nice selection of goodies for Doris. Enjoy your package!

I've heard about the maple syrup from Canada and how wonderful it is. Catherine great box!

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 9:27AM
lakeguy35

Sharon got me hooked on real maple syrup. You're gonna love it! I hope you share a recipe or two out of that book when you find a some good ones. Enjoy it all Doris!

David

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
Beans and Greens Recipes?
I wonder if I haven't been getting out enough, and...
plllog
Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article....
grainlady_ks
Does this Nutella frosting on my cake need to be refrigerated?
I finally found a Nutella frosting recipe that I really...
sooz
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™