Dacor. Does anyone LIKE this brand?

theSchmettOctober 11, 2012

Hi everyone,

Internet reviews on Dacor products are incredibly negative.

Can GardenWeb balance this out or are they really that unreliable? I have the opportunity to purchase a used range (ERD36) at a deep discount. It LOOKS fine. I have no way of knowing if it is about to blow a circuit board, or the oven window is about to explode. These are the most common complaints on the internets.

I certainly don't require a gourmet 36" stove for my kitchen remodel... but it sure would be nice if it managed to work without blowing up my home. If this doesn't work, we will go with a more mainstream brand of 36 or 40 inch range, spending under $3,000. This one retails for $8 and after I rent a truck and bribe some friends to help pick it up, will probably cost me around $2500.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
invisible_hand

I have a Dacor refrigerator purchased at a discount that I like and haven't had any issue with over last 3 years (though I believe it is basically a rebadged version of a mainstream brand)

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 3:54PM
deeageaux

Dacor fridges are rebranded Whirlpools/KitchenAids.

Dacor has a well-earned reputation for circuit boards that last five to ten years.

To replace circuit board will cost you $500 for parts plus labor.

Not sure about oven window.

Maybe there is a reason why a range that retails for $8K is availbable for $2k.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 4:03PM
amck2

My Dacor range (ERD30S06) still looks like new after 10 yrs. use, but I wouldn't give it away to a family member or friend at this point. I'm one of the unfortunates dealing with a bad circuit board. My model is also super loud when the oven is on and takes ages to preheat.

I absolutely get that some good brands get a bad rap in internet reviews for having had one model or two that were lemons. I almost steered clear of purchasing a JennAir range for our lake place for that reason. So glad I decided to go with one. It's been a reliable workhorse for the past 5 years.

I understand how tempting the deal sounds on the Dacor, but I would urge you to get as much info as you can before buying it. Mine has become such an unreliable pain that I can't wait till I can afford to replace it.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 6:26PM
weedmeister

I thought they were Fisher & Paykel.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 6:48PM
wekick

I had an ER36D(new) for 7 mos, about 5 years ago, that they never could get to work right. The computer boards were billed out at $1800 each time they were replaced.( but free to me under warranty) It still never worked. The enamel was very subject to flaking. The knobs were flimsy and broke. The oven could never hold a temperature. They finally bought it back.

deeageaux
Maybe there is a reason why a range that retails for $8K is availbable for $2k.

Agree 100%. It might have been a return. Do you get a warranty or right to return? Search Dacor on this forum.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 7:32PM
rhome410

I thought they were Fisher & Paykel.

DCS is Fisher and Paykel.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 10:57PM
weedmeister

Yep, got them confused.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 3:35PM
Jumpilotmdm

The people at Dacor love Dacor. All others use caution.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
24" refrigerator. Liebherr, Fagor, LG, etc?
We live in Boston. We are in the market for 24"....
ttkogi
How do you get deals on high-end appliances?
I'm pretty certain that I know what I want for my appliances....
carecooks
Double Gaggeneau Oven vs. Single with Microwave/Convection
We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen. I...
C C
True Refrigerator (residential)
I came across this beautiful photo of a True refrigerator...
ltislander
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™