Shower seat, curb and door saddle - the same?

oshnwavzDecember 2, 2012

Hi All - The kitchen forum was VERY helpful for me some years ago when I needed it - so I thought I would post over here now that I am redoing my small bathroom.

I am converting my tub to a shower only, and would like to add a rectangular bench at the back end. Am thinking that I want a solid surface top of some kind for the bench. I understand that Marble may need to be sealed, and I am a no-maintenance-kind-of-gal.

So I'm wondering if you have a preference for a maintenance free material for the bench top. Also: should it then match the shower "curb" top and maybe even the door saddle? This is a very small bathroom - outside of the current tub space it is probably only about 5' x 5'.

Just fyi on my other design details - all walls including shower will be 8x16 tile, shower floor will be small pebbles, and bathroom floor will be 16x16 tiles.I also have an accent tile that I've picked out that will run linearly around the shower space.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sofla

I would have the shower bench surface, solid, and the same as the countertop on the vanity. Granite or a caesarstone type suface. Would use the same on any other surface top such as a windowsill or half wall surface. The shower step could be the tile from floor running up and over so it blends in or it could be the same surface which will make it stand out.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 2:06PM
oshnwavz

Thanks sofla. Guess I should have added that my sink will be ceramic white.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 2:46PM
treasuretheday

What is your countertop material? Like Sofla, I think matching your counter material looks great. We used a 2cm thickness of our granite for the shower curb, bench, niche shelves, top of the pony wall and doorway threshold. It's low maintenance (inital sealing and then every year or so, as needed).

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Help choosing a vanity top?
I am trying to choose a vanity tops for my renovated...
singers11
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™