should I opt for a Redi-Tile niche?

mabeldingeldine_gwDecember 13, 2012

As we get closer to tiling our tub/shower surround, I'm a bit apprehensive about getting things done, especially as my DH is getting chilly feet.

We'd like a fairly large niche, or 2 smaller niches, on the long wall. I've seen preformed niches such as this one by Tile Redi (linked below). At $47 it is kind of spendy, but what say you experienced tilers, would it be worth it to purchase 2 rather than frame out one long niche? We will be using hydroban for waterproofing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redi-Tile niche

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StoneTech

I wouldn't consider it "spendy" at all. I would charge twice that to fabricate one from scratch....

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 12:07PM
mabeldingeldine_gw

StoneTech, have you used them before? This is for a budget renovation I'm doing myself in my old house. I'm trying to keep the whole project under $3K.

I have all the materials readily available to construct one, just looking for input on the ease of use compared to constructing my own. If they will save me lots of time, make things much easier, they might be worth it to me.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 8:49PM
TSG1104

We are using one in our remodel. My husband installed it himself with no previous experience. We decided not to use the shelf that was included because it was very thick and I felt it took up too much room in the niche. Instead we ordered a glass shelf to fit that matches the glass shelf on our shower stack.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 1:29AM
More Discussions
Family of 5 - only 1 1/2 bathrooms. What would you do?
We are an active family of 5 and our bathroom situtation...
rebeccamomof123
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Suggestions - Eliminating Jack and Jill Bath in New Construction
Looking for suggestions on eliminating a Jack and Jill...
burbmomoftwo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™