Is linoleum still being used?

obrionusaDecember 11, 2012

Im going to start to update my main bathroom. I plan on paint, new counter top lights faucet and new flooring. I already installed new tub surround a few years ago. There is currently carpet down so I can put linoleum down very easy and affordable. I would prefer tile, but cant really afford that now. If its going to look cheap then I would probably go ahead and just do it. The bathroom is about 60-75 sq, ft and I live in Midwestern part of U.S.
Advice please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

You taking about actual linoleum or using the word linoleum for vinyl flooring? Linoleum is still available although more commonly used in commercial applications. There's some nice looking vinyl available although I think (and I'm not a designer) that the current trend is for tile.

Use of vinyl flooring requires careful prep of the subfloor, as imperfections will "telegraph" through the vinyl.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 9:47AM
oasisowner

We were on a budget for the bathroom and used sheet vinyl flooring (also, I did NOT want to deal with cleaning grout or the hard suface of tile). Three different people commented "I love your tile". Some of the new vinyl is very nice.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 10:11AM
tuesday_2008

Oasisowner would you have a picture to share of your bathroom with sheet vinyl? I am considering that for a small bathroom remodel.

You are right - some of them look just like tile.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:54AM
mongoct

Linoleum is not only still being used, it's made quite a comeback over the past 10 years or so.

I've done a few Forbo floors over the years. I have a linoleum kitchen to do around March or April. Either Forbo or Armstrong.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 6:07PM
mabeldingeldine_gw

I am in the middle of a budget reno, and we just put down a new subfloor and vinyl plank flooring. It was relatively simple to install, and we are really pleased with the look and feel. Our is a Shaw Flooring product.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 9:12PM
obrionusa

I meant vinyl like you see at lowes/menards.
I feel better about using now.
Thanks all!

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 6:42AM
oasisowner

Tuesday,

Sorry, no camera at the moment, but here is a pic showing a tiny portion of the floor.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 11:28AM
rwiegand

Real linoleum is a wonderful, "green" material that is still made, though something of a specialty product now. It may not be cheaper than tile.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Opinions on Water Creation Vanities??
I am strongly considering the Water Creation 72"...
likewhatyoudo
Lighted Tub/Shower Niche
Anyone ever wire a light into your shower niche? I...
monicakm_gw
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™