Tile under medicine cabinet?

glsreadsDecember 6, 2011

I'm doing an early Victorian bathroom. I have a recessed medicine cabinet. Does the subway tile go under the cabinet or should it just butt up to the edge? There is a top trim piece that will be higher then the last row of tile. Is that a problem if tile is underneath cabinet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

A picture would help others give you advise on this project. It is hard to understand what the tile and cabinet and plan are all about otherwise.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 9:18AM
pps7

You can go either way. It depends on how big/ high your medicine cabinet will be and how high your subway tile will go. We did wainscoting instead of subway tile and ended up butting up the edge.

If you look at the pics below you will see an example of it going under.

Here is a link that might be useful: rh medicine cabinet

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 9:42AM
bill_vincent

I would only go under if the tile completely encompasses the medicine cabinet. If it's only a wainscot, the cabinet would be half on the tile and half off, showing a gap above the tile.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 5:43PM
glsreads

OK, it's not going all the way around so I'll have the tile guy butt it up to the edge. I bought the exact cabinet pictured above from Restoration Hardware. Right now the chair rail ends at the bottom of the pediment or whatever you call that top trim piece. Does that look OK? The tile is 6' high (room is 6'x 11' with 9' ceilings). I don't want to raise the cabinet any further as the mirror is small. At 5'6" my face is in the middle of the mirror but someone shorter will be standing on their tiptoes. Suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Medicine cabinet

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Shower glass strong enough to hold towel?
We will be getting semi-frameless glass shower walls....
risforremodel
recommend sink for combo powder/bath
am planning combo laundry/half bath. side by side washer...
elleninmaine
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Which latricrete products for full shower build?
I'm a bit confused about all the various Latricrete...
cataan
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™