Ceiling and Wall Texture

sriirvineSeptember 27, 2012

Hello,

We are in the final stages of our large home addition (yay!) and we have to decide on wall and ceiling texture. We were all set on having smooth walls and ceilings, but I did more research and found out a few things that might complicate things:

1. Our GC says that that it's a level 4 smooth. From other posts, it looks like level 5 is the pinacle of smoothness? Does level 4 just mean drywall seams are mudded 3 times and then the skim coat? Sorry if my terms are incorrect? Is there anything to look out for when they do this? I've already seen a couple of houses that he has done and the smooth walls look pretty good.

2. I heard that one potential problem with smooth ceilings is that the drywall could sag over time and show the seams. This something to worry about? My GC said he doesn't think so especially since the joists were the drywall is screwed into is manufactured so they are pretty stable (except in case of water damage of course)

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rrah

Every house I've ever lived in had smooth ceilings. This is a bit of a regional thing as I've discovered. I can tell you with that I've never seen actual drywall sag. I've seen tape pull away from the edges near where the wall meets the ceiling over time as the house expands/contracts with the seasons. That can happen no matter the drywall finish. I've seen it in textured ceilings also.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 4:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

No drywall ceiling should sag unless it is subjected to unusual humidity on a regular basis. It should never be in a steam shower. If a ceiling sagged the use of a texture would not keep it from looking bad. Be aware that contractors like textured ceilings because it saves them a lot of work. Make them do what you want. Textured finishes are a matter of style and taste rather than construction issues.

I would go smooth. In New England the different levels of finish are unheard of. Drywall joints are simply taped or a veneer plaster system is used (blueboard). IMHO joint compound is too soft and shrinks too much to be an effective smooth skim coat finish. Unfortunately, veneer plaster/blueboard is not available in many parts of the US for reasons I have never understood.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
It's February 2015- How is your build going?
January was a surprisingly active month! I admire all...
mushcreek
Is the 'remote' home office worth it?
We need an office for DH that is away from the day-to-day...
edwardshome
What are you doing for your security system?
I know that's an extra cost, but I was curious as to...
aimless07
Master Bath revisions
Which revision do you like better? There can only be...
edwardshome
Banquette seating by Ballard /Coventry line
Has anyone purchased banquette seating through this...
mrspete
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™