Which built-in induction cooktops have timers?

arley_gwOctober 1, 2007

Greetings all:

I'm considering an induction cooktop for a cottage which will eventually house my mother-in-law.

While she's still very much "with it", from a safety standpoint I might want something that has a timer function so the induction hob doesn't stay on long term. Plus, she does a lot of pressure cooking; I think that with a timer, she could, in the immortal words of Ron Popeil, "set it and forget it."

By 'timer function' I mean something that actually shuts off power to the hob, not something that just beeps like a kitchen timer. (The new GE induction cooktop, for instance, has a timer, but it just beeps. The power to the hob still stays on. That's a bit of a disappointment because the cooktop otherwise seems pretty good.)

TIA for guidance--

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klaa2

Thermador Induction Cooktops have timers. I have the 362DS.

Bookmark   October 1, 2007 at 4:30PM
pammo

AEG cooktops have timers.

Here is a link that might be useful: AEG Induction Cooktop

Bookmark   October 1, 2007 at 6:47PM
pecanpie

Brandt has timers with the turn-off function. Check AEG, Fagor, de Dietrich and Diva as well.

The turn-off timers are incredibly helpful. One of the best features of the cooktop-and there are many.

I have plans to install one in my parents' home- the 'I forgot the (gas) stove was on when I left the house' routine is really scaring me. Good foresight for your mom's future abode.

Bookmark   October 1, 2007 at 9:55PM
arley_gw

Actually, maybe I'm being a little harsh on GE and others. Now that I'm looking into it a little more, a lot of the brands have auto-shut off when a pan is not detected. That would make sense from a safety standpoint, and probably would be just as safe as a turn-off timer.

However, I think a turn-off timer would be useful for some applications; if you are an avid pressure cooker cook, the recipes generally call for cooking under pressure for a precise time period and then removing them from the heat.

Bookmark   October 2, 2007 at 9:18AM
beatrix_in_canada

Miele does have a timer. And Auto-heat function. I'm going to use it as Arley described: I set my pressure cooker with a soup on, can set the timer between 0 and 99 minutes. And leave the house and the soup is ready when I come back for lunch. That usually happens on Saturdays when I get the soup ready in the morning, leave the rest of the family to their own devices and go to the farmers market :-)

Bookmark   October 2, 2007 at 9:38AM
Fori is not pleased

Induction simply won't do diddly without a pan on it--all induction cooktops have that feature! And I suspect that in most cases a forgotten pan will overheat and turn off the unit before anything serious happens. That's certainly not advertised as a feature, but it seems to me it's not a bad thing!

The turnoff timer does sound like a nice feature though.

Bookmark   October 2, 2007 at 4:54PM
oskiebabu

Many cooktops have timers. The new GE Profile and Monogram induction cooktops have timers. De Dietrich (some models) which can be bought at Blue Ridge Salon in , NC have timers.

I have gotten prices of $1,784 on the 36" GE Monogram--for one of the two or three most powerful induction units this is an unbelievable price. And it seems to be patterned after the De Dietrich top of the line model.

Greg

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 8:45AM
arley_gw

Yes, the GE induction cooktops do have timers, but according to the owner's manual I read online, they are no different from a kitchen timer; the power still flows to the hob even after the timer goes off. I guess I should have specified 'turn-off' timers in the query...

I agree, though, $1800 for such a powerful unit does seem like a great deal. After a few pioneers post their results here I might take a chance with it.

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 11:12AM
livingthedream

Do any of these REQUIRE the timer to be set in order to use the burner?

I love the timer feature on my Mr. Induction, but using the timer is an extra step, not the default. The unit might turn itself off before burning down the house even without the timer, but it doesn't stop pots from cooking to the point of being badly burnt. As someone whose home life is full of distractions, the extra second needed by a required-timer default would have saved me from having to clean many a burnt-on pot, and possibly a few boilovers.

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 11:34AM
arley_gw

I guess the ideal induction hob would be one with pan detection (so it shuts down the power if no pan is there), with an optional timer function (that is, one that is NOT the default) that when used shuts off the power to the hob at the end of the specified time period.

From what I read, the Cooktek 'Apogee' countertop units do it that way, and so do certain built-ins.

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 12:05PM
Fori is not pleased

Again, don't bother looking for an induction hob with pan detection--they all have it as a nature of the machine. With no magnetic pan, there is no heat. The heat is produced in the PAN, not the induction unit.

It seems that having a timer to turn off the unit at a specified time would be such a simple thing to include in a device so heavy on electronics--I wonder why they don't all have it.

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 12:42PM
oskiebabu

The top of the line De Dietrich DTI 309x at $2,300 from Blue Ridge Salon in North Carolina, which is the flagshipmodel of Fagor/Brandt, has a timer that shuts off on every burner. And it is almost identical in power to the GE monogram 36".

I have cooked for years on powerful gas units with no timers--to me it is no big deal. The Monogram and Profile have one timer that is like an alarm clock. If you have a drunken husband that cooks when he comes home early in the morning you have a safety issue--and another issue that goes beyond timers:-)

But I would get the De Dietrich DTI 309x if timers and a powerful unit are important to you.

Greg

Bookmark   October 29, 2007 at 10:18AM
oskiebabu

Lets say you use a timer set to 99 minutes and you boiled away everything in the pan before the timer was done. Uless your induction unit has a sensor, such as the GE & Profile units (and I;m sure most do) you would destroy and melt a pan. With the GE Monogram & Profile induction units it senses when the temperature of the pan rises beyond the set-temperature and automatically shouts off. This prevents any sever pan scorching or fires. So a timer by itself is not prevention device. The sensor is the prevention device.

Greg

Bookmark   October 29, 2007 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
Bertazzoni 36" Dual Fuel or other range in price point?
There have been a lot of discussion about the Bertazzoni...
Buttons
2 Weeks With my New ASKO Dishwasher--a review
Since very few people here have ASKO dishwashers or...
needinfo1
Double Gaggeneau Oven vs. Single with Microwave/Convection
We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen. I...
C C
Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven
I asked questions about the steam oven last month....
lawjedi
Miele Oven Temperatures - Please Check Yours
So I'm back. I'm on my second Masterchef oven, after...
baver
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™