Need Exterior Paint Advice

therwood22September 10, 2012

I just posted this under Home Decorating, but figured I'd give it a shot over here as well! Does anybody know of a medium/deep slate blue that they've actually seen used on an exterior? I am building a home (hardi plank siding) and would like to go with a "Cape Cod" type look- darkish slate blue with bright white trim. This is the first home I've ever built and I am COMPLETELY overwhelmed with all the blue color choices. What looks good on the paint chip doesn't always translate perfectly, but I haven't been able to find anybody who has first-hand knowledge of a color in that range that turned out well. I would be SO grateful for any advice! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
virgilcarter

I haven't used blue on the exterior of a house, but wonder if you have considered buy several samples and brushing each on your house to evaluate? It's usually a good idea to do so on both a sunny and shaded side in order to see how the color looks under varying light conditions. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 3:03PM
therwood22

I will definitely do that- thanks. They just started framing yesterday, so it's a little too soon- I'm just impatient and trying to get my colors lined up now! :)

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 4:49PM
graywings123

You could look at the colors that Ben Moore recommends in its Exterior Expressions brochure. There are several blues in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ben Moore exterior expressions

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
Sending my floor plan modifications to the architect. Ideas?
I have to have all my structural changes decided by...
houserookie
Master Bath revisions
Which revision do you like better? There can only be...
edwardshome
Shook Hill Plan Modifications -- input please!
Hi -- We are just sitting down to the drawing board...
Emptynesteralmost
Banquette seating by Ballard /Coventry line
Has anyone purchased banquette seating through this...
mrspete
Dark hardwood vs lighter hardwood floors
I'm trying to decide which type of floors we should...
houserookie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™