Need help figuring out size of mirror and lights

rebecca3142December 29, 2013

I am remodeling a master bath and the kid's bath. For the master bath the vanity will be 6'9" and the kid's vanity will be 6'6". Both bathrooms will have double sinks. I am going to do a medicine cabinet and a light above each sink. I am trying to figure out the proper size (width) for the medicine cabinets and lights. And, would it look better for the lights to have 2 or 3 bulbs for that size of vanity?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Do sconces to either side rather than a light above. It provides better lighting. Medicine cabinets come in basic sizes, and in each line there is a certain size that you get to before the door starts being split in two. That's the size you want. In some lines, it's 18". In some, it's 24". Research your cabinet lines to figure out what it is in that line.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 11:49AM
rebecca3142

Thank you hollysprings. My husband likes a more traditional look with the light above the mirror. Trust me, I showed him about 50 different pictures on Houzz to make sure I couldn't find a sconce configuration that he likes - and I wasn't successful. :)

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 3:51PM
enduring

Traditional lighting for bathrooms in my experience has always been to the side of the mirror. I grew up in a house that had side lighting from the 40's or so. Now in the old house I married into we had side lighting from the same era. We lived with it for over 20 years and just recently remodeled. I continued to go with side lights because of the better visibility. I use the mirror to put on makeup and my husband uses it to shave. We need the side lighting for visibility.

Lighting should be about function first, then form :) JMHO.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 7:58PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Tell him that when he is the one putting on makeup at the bathe mirror, then he gets to choose the lighting. Then move on to talking about the type of window treatments for the garage or some other feminine intrusion into one of what he thinks of as his space.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 8:08PM
enduring

LOL, exactly Hollysprings, great advise!

Rebecca, let us know how DH responds to this line of reasoning :) Leave it to GW'rs to come up with the perfect strategy.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 9:12PM
rebecca3142

Ok, I didn't even have to pull the makeup strategy! We went through pictures on Houzz again, and he came around. Yahoo! :)

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 4:57PM
enduring

Good news :) Did he just wear down?

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
Very Cool - New Porcelanosa Luxury Vinyl Tiles
I would love this for my walls too! And the website...
numbersjunkie
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™