putting a built-in microwave in a base cabinet?

Karen.1288October 17, 2012

We do not have space in the upper portion of our kitchen for a regular microwave, and do not want to monopolize valuable countertop space for one. I also am trying not to spend $750 on a microwave drawer. Has anyone put a regular built in one in a base cabinet and if so, do you like it? or is it terrible? thanks..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Great for kids. Horrible for adults that need to read the displays unless you are young and limber enough to crouch down to do so.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 4:34PM
Cavimum

Friends of ours had a "cubby" built into their base cabinets, with an electrical outlet. They put their counter-top style microwave in there. We are doing the same thing but above our wall oven. That way, when it dies, we toss it and plug in a new one. One custom fitting or trims to deal with. It is something to consider.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 6:51PM
Cavimum

Instead of "one custom fitting" I meant to say *no* custom fitting or trims to deal with.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 6:52PM
socalss

We bought a Panasonic model (NN-797SN I believe) from Costco and the associated 27" base cabinet trim kit from Amazon. It worked out to be cheaper (about $300 for both) then buying the Sharp microwave drawer, which BTW seemed to have quite a few bad reviews. Our kitchen isn't done yet so haven't used it on daily basis. I can see how people would have trouble with the ergonomics of it, but we don't use the microwave a whole lot so not too worried about it.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:08PM
lee676

Be careful with putting countertop microwaves in a cubby below the countertop - some MWs require a few inches of airspace above, to the sides of, and/or behind them and are not designed to be built in (except with their optional matching trim kit, which has air vent grilles but takes up the extra space you were trying to save). I prefer true built-in microwaves for this application (or the multi-use GE Advantium 120 30"w wall oven, if you have the width).

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 6:06AM
coco4444

I have the Panasonic. I used to apologize for fingerprints, as this pic was taken during construction... however I've come to learn there will ALWAYS be fingerprints (and I can live with that!) :)

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
ELECTROLUX ICON FREESTANDING DUAL-FUEL RANGE or KITCHEN AID
I am about to purchase a dual –fuel, 30 “freestanding...
AreBe
Combo Oven/SpeedOven vs. purchasing Oven and SpeedOven separately
We are doing a major kitchen remodel including installing...
card2020
Buy Wolf or Elux wall oven if don't use self clean?
I've read all the horror stories about the blue enamel...
golfergirl29
36" induction cooktop with bridge
So far we've only found two 36" induction glass-top...
woodysapsucker
smallest microwave (width) ever ? Please advise
I'm looking for the smallest microwave in terms of...
Pippin
Sponsored Products
Jamie Young Hammered Metal Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
36" Tegal Teak Outdoor Kitchen Cabinet
Signature Hardware
Furniture of America Ravena Oak 7-piece Cherry Dinette Set
Overstock.com
American Heritage Augusta Bar in Suede
Beyond Stores
Dimond Lighting Greek Key Alles&Ria Table Lamp
$270.00 | LuxeDecor